Media Request

Guest chris99

There seems to be a general consensus or common perception that the Bill will only really be targetting Rangers and Celtic fans for their "offensive" behaviour and that's where there's a serious problem being created here because football fans at every club in the UK have been known to say and do offensive things on matchdays. It's completely commonplace and it's part of the atmosphere at football games or at least it certainly used to be before the lunatics were let out of the asylum and the world went bonkers on "political correctness".

I'd like to know how on earth the government, police and courts are going to fairly and justly define what's offensive and what's not. Is the word 'fenian' more offensive than the word 'cunt'? Many many people are offended by vitriol or swearing and that happens LOUDLY, every week, at almost every football game in the world. I simply can't get my head around the logic of making certain arguably offensive things highly illegal while ignoring others. It's idiotic.

If they're going to legislate on offensive behaviour at football in Scotland then they're going to have to do it fairly and that means not only targetting Rangers and Celtic fans, but targetting ALL football fans no matter whether certain matches are televised or not. If a Rangers fan can get arrested for singing, chanting or shouting something offensive, then the same should go for all other football fans in the country. There isn't going to be one law for us and a different law for others. If they think they can get away with that, then they better have a rethink.

Whatever the perception is Zappa, I can assure you that the OBB is not just targeted at Rangers and Celtic fans, it is equally targetted at Hearts and Hibs and fans of any club who indulge in offensive behaviour, whether the match is televised or not is irrelevant.

I agree that one man's legitimate banter is another man's offensive behaviour but as I said on another thread at least insofar as the bill is concerned for a conviction to be secured the offence has to be in respect of a regulated football match (basically any match involving a "senior" football team) (including travelling to and from such a match), the behaviour has to be offensive AND likely to incite public disorder. Offensive behaviour is defined inter alia as behaviour that expresses hatred of a group of persons or an individual based on their membership of a religious group, social or cultural group with perceived religious affiliation; or other behaviour that a "reasonable person" would be likely to consider offensive.

In my view it is the last test that the procurator will find most difficult to prove.

Edited by BrahimHemdani
typo