New SPL rules

Guest Dutchy

I remember going into the Rangers end at Hampden, it was all sleepers with dirt in between. If a goal was scored in the first half, you looked like a miner. By the time the second half was ending, all the carefully filled tins and bottles would have been knocked over and you were like some monster crawling out of the Bleu Lagoon.

It was dangerous what we used have to put up with.

I remember going into the Rangers end at Hampden, it was all sleepers with dirt in between. If a goal was scored in the first half, you looked like a miner. By the time the second half was ending, all the carefully filled tins and bottles would have been knocked over and you were like some monster crawling out of the Bleu Lagoon.

It was dangerous what we used have to put up with.

I remember that too...and when Rangers scored, you needed a gas mask to breathe properly because our end was covered - the mhanky end wizny, loved it when we played them there and it poured down.

Terracing always was and still is (in lower divisions in the UK) far more open than what's being suggested for use in safe standing areas. Old fashioned terraces often had loads of rows of people standing between each barrier level and were rife with overcrowding. The photo below is an example of what's being suggested for safe standing areas. It's a German design already in use in Germany.

safe%20standing.jpg

This is the system I referred to tonight on Sportsound.

Your singing about fighting the IRA which is not allowed either.

Strictly speaking that 's not correct. Offensive behaviour is defined as "expressing hatred against a religious group (or individual), a social or cultural group with a perceived religious affiliation, a group defined by reference to colour, race, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orinentaion, transgender identity or disability. Note that political groups are not mentioned.

However, there is a catch all "other behaviour which a reasonable person would be likely to consider offensive", which may well be used to charge persons who sing the type of songs to which you refer.

Songs in support of proscribed terrorist organisations are considered offensive.

AND always remember that the offensive behaviour has to be such that is it likely to incite public disorder.

The new SPL Rules go further by saying that songs in opposition to proscribed terrorist groups are regarded as "unacceptable conduct"; this is specifically meant to catch songs like BMG (which I personally don't claim to know or understand).

So my advice, for what it's worth, is sing songs that specifically support the team, there are plenty of them.

This is the system I referred to tonight on Sportsound.

Yep, "rail seats" as you mentioned on the show. They're made by a German company Eheim Mobel and another company called Ferco Seating Systems. There's a good slide show of the "hi-rail seats" at Hoffenheim on the Safe Standing Roadshow website here - http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/gallery-2 ... Some good general info about safe standing using these systems on that site too.

Yep, "rail seats" as you mentioned on the show. They're made by a German company Eheim Mobel and another company called Ferco Seating Systems. There's a good slide show of the "hi-rail seats" at Hoffenheim on the Safe Standing Roadshow website here - http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/gallery-2 ... Some good general info about safe standing using these systems on that site too.

The SPL, Rangers and Celtic have all the info, I've been pushing at an open door all year. We'll see if anything comes of it. I have afunny feeling that Celtic might be first.

I remember that too...and when Rangers scored, you needed a gas mask to breathe properly because our end was covered - the mhanky end wizny, loved it when we played them there and it poured down.

It was like a fog that hung over our end, I remember some of the sways that you used to get caught up in at the time it was great, by the end of the game you were no where near the spot you started the game. When you look back it's a bloody miracle people didn't die on a regular bases.

The new SPL Rules go further by saying that songs in opposition to proscribed terrorist groups are regarded as "unacceptable conduct"; this is specifically meant to catch songs like BMG (which I personally don't claim to know or understand).

There will be a significant bunch of disgruntled Gers fans to evolve out of the new SPL rules because it won't just be BMG getting targetted. Loyalist songs including the relatively popular UDR4 will be banned and before you know it others will too. What about orange songs? Will fans eventually be told they can't sing The Sash? I've never been into any of that stuff myself, but I know for a fact that lots of fans are.