A Match for Europe & The Debate (BBC)

Why not speaking of Hearts, supposedly 30m in the red and constantly late in paying their players?

Agreed, although Kilmarnock are in far a worse situation than Hearts in terms of their debt-to-income ratio.

When debating Rangers' "fragile" financesthese days, you may point out that it took one out-standing payment of 85k from Rangers to have Pars players take a wage cut. What would happen to the SPL teams if there were no Rangers, or Celtic for that matter?

The influence of the Old Firm is most clearly seen in the TV deal.

However, a fairer distribution of finances is one of the points that came out in the SD Survey:

• With the exception of Old Firm fans (although 48% were in favour), there is strong support for distributing central revenues more equally and clear evidence that supporters believe this would increase competition.
  • There are indications that increased competition would encourage greater attendance particularly amongst those who attend games less regularly and fans of clubs in the First Division and non Old Firm SPL clubs.

BH, I'd like you to ask why it's taken Rangers to go into administration for all these investigations, debates and rule book changing discussions to take place. In the past two years two other clubs have went into administration (one for a second time) and hardly anyone batted an eyelid. Ok, so Gretna were esssentially a minnow club, but Dundee FC certainly weren't. Why were there not discussions about tightening the rules after Dundee went into Admin' for a second time in a decade? Were there not alarm bells ringing? Does it take Scottish football to collapse to it's knees before the people running the game in our country start taking notice? :fuming:

I think you have a very fair point there and one that the SFA no doubt will have to answer in due course and I think it's certainly relevant to governance but I think that the primary focus tomorrow (as in the SD Survey) will be how to make our football more competitive, increase attendance etc; but finance certainly does come in to it.

With regard to more evenly distribute money ... the figures are of course all out there. We or the Hooped Horrors do get a greater share, but we also have to pay e.g. much more for policing and somesuch on a matchday, given that our crowds are up to ten times higher than at other SPL grounds.

I have, though, no idea how the money is distributed these days. The figures are out there and if the distribution can be done better or fairer than now, no problem on my part.

Why can Scotland not follow the Dutch system and have area teams where generations grandfather, father,son, all play for the same club. A team as Renfrew juniors could have a full amateur system behind it with a youth development system. Some amateur teams in Holland have 20+ senior teams from all levels and a large number of youth teams. A club as Renfrew Juniors should be a community football club where they have a complex with a number of grass parks and all levels of play from the top team down to the veteran team or guys just wanting a runabout.

Members pay a contribution to play for the club + there is normally a social club where money comes in from bar sales.

I don't know if you can make a question out of that but Scotland needs to get away from the one team club culture.

This is extremely relevant in my view.

The academic research behind our Fan's Plan (to be released shortly) shows:

Attendance at Ajax and Feyenoord is approximately the same as it is for Rangers and Celtic, between 42506 (Feyenoord) and 48698 (Celtic). But the next best supported club in the Netherlands â?? PSV â?? has an average attendance of 33482. In Scotland the next best supported team after the Old Firm is Hearts, whose average attendance is less than half that.

None of the top ten Dutch clubs have an average attendance of less than 15000, while in the SPL only Rangers and Celtic have an average attendance in excess of 15000.

While it might be objected that this analysis omits the fact that the population of the Netherlands is approximately three times that of Scotland, the point is less one of level of attendance, and more about its distribution between clubs.

With the exception of Vitesse, their utilisation of their stadium capacity is between 80 and 100%. Examination of the same data for Scotland shows that in 2010-11 only three clubs (Rangers, Celtic and Hearts) had a capacity utilisation of 80% or better.

In particular, a more detailed inspection reveals that the maximum capacity utilisations are not at the top of the Dutch league â?? Ajax and Feyenoord â?? but among the middle sized clubs such as as PSV (95% ), Heerenveen Groningen, Breda and AZ (all with 96%), and Twente with a remarkable 98% utilisation of their stadium capacity over a season.

The conclusion we have reached is that work is needed to increase, but also make more equal, the match day utilisation of stadium capacity of Scottish football. For instance examination of tactics used by clubs in other countries with respect to match-day marketing and pricing, we would suggest is one area for Scottish clubs to look at. For instance, what is the role of the match-day experience for the fan in the likelihood that he/she will return, and how far does a half empty stadium contribute to that experience? Might it be more important, over the longer term, to fill the stadium than maintain a specific pricing policy?

With regard to more evenly distribute money ... the figures are of course all out there. We or the Hooped Horrors do get a greater share, but we also have to pay e.g. much more for policing and somesuch on a matchday, given that our crowds are up to ten times higher than at other SPL grounds.

I have, though, no idea how the money is distributed these days. The figures are out there and if the distribution can be done better or fairer than now, no problem on my part.

The teams that finish 1st and 2nd in the SPL get approx 33% of the total "pot".