A Fantasy or a Nightmare?

54andcounting’s post about Airdrie Utd started me thinking……..

When Airdrieonians went out of business at the end of the 2001-02 season, Jim Bannatyne formed Airdrie Utd and applied for the vacancy left by Airdrieonians, but Gretna were elected.

He then bought Clydebank who were in financial difficulties at the time but as they were still in the League, Airdrie became members automatically and the League approved the "move" from Clydebank to Airdrie.

If Rangers FC are liquidated, then the newco let’s say Rangers (2012) could apply to join the SPL (if they met the criteria including having a suitable ground e.g. Ibrox) since SPL rules allow for the member share of a liquidated club to be transferred to another company, providing 90% of clubs agree on possible sanctions and the league’s board then approve the sale, BUT:

They might not be admitted; or,

They might be admitted with such severe penalties (especially if they were spread over several seasons) as to render membership not worthwhile (which would be quite a strong negotiating point of course).

In other words, even if it was possible to join the SPL it might be better to start off in the Third Division of the SFL and work your way back up again (penalty free).

That well known comedian, Chick Young quoted Neil Doncaster as saying on Sportsound that there is no direct route into the Third Division and, of course, that is correct but assuming two teams move up from SFL1 (one to take Rangers place) and so on, then it follows that there would be vacancy in SFL3 in which case:

Rangers (2012) could apply to join SFL3 and take their chance alongside Coldstream, Nairn County or whoever; OR

They could buy an existing Third Division Club, thereby gaining automatic entry, rename it and apply to move the ground from wherever to Ibrox (assuming newco own Ibrox)

OR going back to the beginning of this bad dream, they could buy an existing SPL Club…………..

WARNING:

THIS IS A FANTASY THAT HAS NO BASIS IN REALITY;

ANY RESEMBLANCE TO EXISTING CLUBS OR RECENT EVENTS IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL.

NO OFFENCE MEANT TO SUPPORTERS OF ANY OTHER CLUBS.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

He then bought Clydebank who were in financial difficulties at the time but as they were still in the League, Airdrie became members automatically and the League approved the "move" from Clydebank to Airdrie.

Sorry to be a complete pedant BH, but I have to stress again that Airdrie were only able to buy Clydebank because Clydebank were also in administration and the administrators (PFK) were seeking a buyer. Clydebank had hoped to save their club and indeed had a bid to do so, but the Airdrie bid was higher and the administrators seemingly just went with the highest bid.... - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/2123541.stm

That well known comedian, Chick Young quoted Neil Doncaster as saying on The Debate that there is no direct route into the Third Division

Again, I'm being a pedant here, but Chick Young actually quoted (well, paraphrased) Doncaster based on his comments on the previous night's Sportsound radio show.

They could buy an existing Third Division Club, thereby gaining automatic entry, rename it and apply to move the ground from wherever to Ibrox (assuming newco own Ibrox)

In this scenario surely there would be other options such as buying an English club? I'm not thinking about the Banstead nonsense here btw :facepalm: .... but what about a League Two club like Port Vale?

If Rangers don't look at the opportunity to go to england now seriously. I'll jump all over anyone the suggests it agin in the future. It's now or never

It's not now or never yet, but it really will be now or never if the club is liquidated.

I've still got serious doubts about the concept of moving to an English league because I really think we would struggle down their in the circumstances of having to live within our means, but in all honesty it has to be thrown into the mixer and at least considered if the plan is to form a "newco".

It's not now or never yet, but it really will be now or never if the club is liquidated.

I've still got serious doubts about the concept of moving to an English league because I really think we would struggle down their in the circumstances of having to live within our means, but in all honesty it has to be thrown into the mixer and at least considered if the plan is to form a "newco".

Yeah you're right, only with a new Rangers.

I have to admit i think i'll struggle to support a new Rangers if we start from scratch

Port Vale would be pretty much perfect for the England scenario however I'm not sure how well received it would be down south if Rangers effectively killed one of their oldest clubs. Starting in League 2 wouldn't be much of a drop in quality from the lower end of the SPL.

We WILL NEVER get another chance to escape a dying league so I'm surprised that it's seemingly not being discussed by either current or future owners. I had heard a rumour that Craig Whyte has met with the FA in England this year though.

Port Vale would be pretty much perfect for the England scenario however I'm not sure how well received it would be down south if Rangers effectively killed one of their oldest clubs. Starting in League 2 wouldn't be much of a drop in quality from the lower end of the SPL.

We WILL NEVER get another chance to escape a dying league so I'm surprised that it's seemingly not being discussed by either current or future owners. I had heard a rumour that Craig Whyte has met with the FA in England this year though.

I said that here mate http://frankieinseasia.blogspot.com/2012/03/this-is-one-and-only-time-i-will-talk.html

Port Vale would be pretty much perfect for the England scenario however I'm not sure how well received it would be down south if Rangers effectively killed one of their oldest clubs.

Port Vale are practically on all fours and begging for help anyway. They're not THAT far away from being right in the shit.

I'm just throwing the idea out to you all because it was suggested to me, but personally I'm not convinced that moving south of the border is wise. I just don't know right now and am genuinely on the fence regarding that because in the first place it'll require a newco and I don't want to see Rangers having to go down the newco route. If that's the only option though, then we should all be thinking long and hard about this because there definitely IS the potential to move south.