Michael Mols: I gave up a fortune as payback for Ibrox bond of fellowship

MICHAEL MOLS today revealed how he took a massive 70 per cent pay cut to play on for Rangers so he could savour the experience of playing Champions League football again.

And the former Dutch striker insisted there may not be a mass exodus of players out of Ibrox in the summer â?? as some have predicted â?? as a result of the current cost-cutting.

Mols agreed to extend his stay in Glasgow for another season after winning the Treble in 2003 â?? but on a fraction of the wages he had been on when he first joined four years earlier.

The frontman had been out injured for over a year with a career-threatening cruciate ligament injury before that and had also been marginalised due to the start of the clubâ??s financial woes.

Having successfully overcome those difficult spells, the Holland international was determined to reach the high level he had performed at with such success before he damaged his knee.

He played for Alex McLeishâ??s all-conquering team in Europeâ??s premier club competition against Copenhagen, Manchester United, Stuttgart and Panathinaikos â?? and scored against the Greeks.

Mols believes that, contrary to widespread opinion, many of Ally McCoistâ??s first team could have points to prove and may wish to remain at Rangers despite the uncertainty off the pitch.

He said: â??Rangers offered me a new deal in 2003 and I agreed to extend my contract for another year.

â??My wages dropped by 70 per cent. But, for me, it was not a problem. The club had treated me so well when I was injured.

â??I also wanted to do everything that I had done before my injury after my injury. I was desperate to play in the Champions League. So I agreed to play on for far less money than I had initially signed on.

â??We agreed that if I played regularly then my wages would go up to 50 per cent of what they had been. It was still a lot less money than I had been used to but, as I say, I was comfortable with that.

â??It was a risk because if I suffered another injury and dropped out of the squad then my wages would drop down to 70 per cent below what they had been. Fortunately, I played on and achieved my goal of playing in Europe again.

â??The club wanted me to extend my deal for a second year on the same money. But I had decided to move on. It was just business, I wasnâ??t angry or upset, I accepted the situation and looked to the future.

â??The Rangers players today are in a similar situation to the one I was in. They have had to agree large pay cuts due to the club being in administration. I believe they deserve tremendous credit for the action they have taken.

â??Rangers is a great club and the players should think long and hard before moving on. I joined to win trophies and play in Europe and I achieved my goal. I am sure many of todayâ??s players will be keen to stay and experience that in the future.â?

Mols went on to play for Utrecht, Den Haag and and Feyenoord in his homeland after parting company with Rangers before finally hanging up his boots three years ago.

But the 41-year-old, who played for the Rangers Legends against AC Milan Glorie last week, has told how he seriously considered joining another Scottish club after leaving Ibrox due to the abrupt nature of his departure.

â??I didnâ??t have a proper farewell at Rangers because of circumstances,â? he recalled. â??My big wish was to play one last time at Ibrox and say goodbye to the fans.

â??In fact, I seriously considered joining another club in Scotland just so I could return to Ibrox to say goodbye.

â??So it was really nice to be offered the chance to play for the club at Ibrox last week. For me, it felt like a chance to say thanks to the Rangers fans for all the backing they gave me when I was at Ibrox.â?

Mols, a £4million signing from Utrecht in 1999, was one of a strong Dutch contingent at Rangers during the ill-fated Dick Advocaat era. The reckless spending of that spell â?? that massive outlay has contributed greatly to the clubâ??s current predicament â?? started to have repercussions during his time in Scotland.

He recalled: â??The club was starting to have problems with the salaries they were paying. The club wanted to cut the wage bill considerably and get rid of a few players on higher wages. I was one of them.

â??I think they felt I was not fully fit and not contributing enough towards the team for the money that I was on at that time. I was told I could look for another club. I had to play in the reserves for months.

â??Fortunately, I got a chance. I came back into the team, scored and then featured in most of the games thereafter in what proved to be an amazing season. We ended up winning the Treble.â?

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/michael-mols-i-gave-up-a-fortune-as-payback-for-ibrox-bond-of-fellowship-1.1157072