SPL clubs back youth lifeline - New U20 league

Why not just bring back the reserve league?

Exactly! The return of the reserve league or the creation of an U21 league would have made a lot more sense.

They speak about bridging the gap and yet they're setting up a new U20 league which leaves a 1 year gap between itself and the U21 national team? These people are idiots.

On a sidenote, the usual way in Germany is that teams have a "B" team playing in the lower leagues, with both youngsters and reserves involved in competitive action all season long. That is, Stuttgart II and Werder Bremen II are currently slugging it out in Bundesliga 3, the other teams' 2nd strings are playing below that. The only restrictive that is imposed is that e.g. no Werder I and Werder II can play in the same league. So essentially a Rangers II team of reserve players and youngsters would play in SFL Division 2 alongside East Fife, Forfar and the like. It will be annoying to those falling away, but in the end all the rest will benefit from increased gate money. If that is impossibly, maybe one team can be picked as a foster team in Division 3 (e.g. Clyde).

Edited by der Berliner

On a sidenote, the usual way in Germany is that teams have a "B" team playing in thel ower leagues, with both youngsters and reserves involved in competitive action all season long. That is, Stuttgart II and Werder Bremen II are currently slugging it out in Bundesliga 3, the other teams' 2nd strings are playing below that. The only restrictive that is imposed is that e.g. no Werder I and Werder II can play in the same league. So essentially a Rangers II team of reserve players and youngsters would play in SFL Division 2 alongside East Fife, Forfar and the like. It will be annoying to those falling away, but in the end all the rest will benefit from increased gate money. If that is impossibly, maybe one team can be picked as a foster team in Division 3 (e.g. Clyde).

I think it is an excellent idea but the fans of lower league teams in Scotland generally do not want this because it strikes at the integrity of their competition.

Obviously, I'm not someone wanting to see teams with a small but grand tradition fall away. Since this was not started from the off, a foster-team partnership might be the call of the day (and I simply assume that not all SPl teams can sustain a B team anyway), where at least 5 players of e.g. Rangers play in each game for a foster "Clyde Swifts", if Clyde FC agrees to such a scheme. It would, in essence, be a localized yet extended loan system, probably easing the costs of the smaller teams while possibly getting them more gate receipts too - if decently promoted by both clubs involved.

Obviously, I'm not someone wanting to see teams with a small but grand tradition fall away. Since this was not started from the off, a foster-team partnership might be the call of the day (and I simply assume that not all SPl teams can sustain a B team anyway), where at least 5 players of e.g. Rangers play in each game for a foster "Clyde Swifts", if Clyde FC agrees to such a scheme. It would, in essence, be a localized yet extended loan system, probably easing the costs of the smaller teams while possibly getting them more gate receipts too - if decently promoted by both clubs involved.

Great ideas DB only one small problem, it makes way to much common sense for this backward inward thinking lets only look after ourself country and the people in charge.