Rookie Robbie hopes goal nails down top team slot to face Well

ROOKIE Ranger Robbie Crawford today dared to dream of a League Cup start against Motherwell â?? after plundering his first goal for the club.

The 19-year-old struck with virtually his first touch after coming on as a substitute against Montrose yesterday.

And the goal put the gloss on Rangers 4-1 win at Ibrox. Now Crawford hopes he's done enough to convince Ally McCoist to hand him a start against the SPL leaders on Wednesday night.

He said: "I think I did alright but it is up to the boss although I hope I will be involved in the squad because it will be a big night for us.

"It is a massive game and if I am picked it will be the biggest game that I'll have been involved in for the first team.

"I am really looking forward to it. It is a big opportunity and it would be nice to be there in some capacity. Just being in the squad would be great."

Crawford this month joined Barrie McKay and Lewis Macleod in commiting to the club for the next five years.

The other two have been a regular feature this season in McCoist's side and Crawford has insisted the honour of playing and scoring for the club remains, despite what has happened over the summer and the lowly status that Rangers now occupy in the Third Division.

"It is a big thing to be in there and playing in the first team for Rangers," he said.

"I was delighted with the goal yesterday because it was almost my first touch. My mum and dad were at the game and it was a really big moment for me.

"I have been at the club for a long time and I've been given the chance to get on in the last few games and all you are really wanting to do is make an impact.

"A lot of the young boys have been thrown in and I am just happy to get my opportunity.

"It is up to us to try and make sure that we take it and also that we help the club to get the results they need to move on."

Macleod was particularly influential in the Rangers midfield yesterday afternoon and took the man of the match award for his efforts.

Crawford has been one of his team-mate's admirers and believes his fellow youngster has done well.

"I thought Lewis was outstanding yesterday," he said. "I thought that in the second period the whole team started to play so much better and he was excellent for us.

"I was delighted to see him get the goal and it is good for Rangers to see that there are young players at the club capable of coming in and making a contribution."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/rookie-robbie-hopes-goal-nails-down-top-team-slot-to-face-well.18952265