Lee Wallace: I'm not on Rio road but I'll train hard to fly again with Scotland

LEE Wallace has vowed to redouble his efforts to get back into the Scotland set-up after his omission for the forthcoming World Cup qualifiers.

Wallace was a surprise inclusion in new manager Gordon Strachan's pool for his first game in charge against Estonia at Pittodrie last month.

The left-back's call-up caused some controversy as he has been playing for Rangers against part-time opposition in the Irn-Bru Third Division this season.

Many felt the step up to international football would, despite the former Hearts man's extensive previous experience at that level, be too great for him.

The 25-year-old, who won the last of his six caps when he came on as a second-half substitute in the friendly against the USA last May, did not play in the 1-0 triumph.

And he was not included in the 28-man Scotland squad Strachan announced earlier this month for the World Cup qualifying double-header against Wales and Serbia.

Nevertheless, Wallace, who stayed loyal to Rangers when reappeared in the fourth tier, stressed he greatly enjoyed the experience.

"Even though I didn't play against Estonia, it was a great thing for me just to be part of the squad once again," he stated.

"I didn't find the training too demanding. The speed and the tempo were pretty much what I have been used to with Rangers this season. I also knew all the players as I have played with most of them before so that helped.

"To be honest, I found it a straightforward transition to make going from the Third Division. Of course, I accept it might be a different story in an international game. I have not been tested to the same degree in the Third Division."

Given that Wallace would, had he been selected to play for Scotland against Wales at Hampden tomorrow evening, have been squaring up to none other than Tottenham superstar Gareth Bale then he has a definite point.

But with Rangers on the verge of winning the Irn-Bru Third Division title â?? they can sew things up on Saturday if they beat Stirling Albion at home and Queen's Park fail to defeat Annan away â?? he is not ruling out being recalled in the future.

"Yes, I am not involved this time around," he remarked. "Gordon has not contacted me since the Estonia game. But that doesn't mean to say that I could not be involved in the future. I will certainly keep working hard in training and in games. We will see where that takes me."

Wallace, who was first capped against Japan in 2009, had previously worked with George Burley and Craig Levein, both of whom he played under at Hearts, in the Scotland set-up.

So training under former Coventry City, Southampton, Celtic and Middlesbrough manager Strachan, albeit only for a few days, was a new experience for him and one that he thoroughly enjoyed.

"Gordon was excellent with the squad and I enjoyed his coaching," he recalled. "It was fantastic to work with him. He came into the squad, brought in a few new faces and introduced some fresh ideas. All the players really responded to that. I certainly relished it.

"I am sure he will have the squad well prepared for these two games against Wales and Serbia.

"These qualifiers will not be easy. No game at international level is. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if the team got two good wins under their belt."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/lee-wallace-im-not-on-rio-road-but-ill-train-hard-to-fly-again-with-119071n.20559158

Personally i think its a joke he isn't in the squad. I can 100% understand him not starting but he is definitely one of the best, if not the best, Scottish left back. Considering how weak Scotland is defensively its a farce not to have him in there. Plus he is only 25 and in 2/3 years time when we are back in our rightful position he will be the most likely starting LB in the Scottish Team....so why not get him in there now and involved with the setup.