Rangers fans chief urges Green to curb comments

RANGERS fans chief John Macmillan today urged Ibrox supremo Charles Green to think before he speaks after a series of controversial outbursts in recent weeks.

Green twice labelled Ally McCoist's side the worst Rangers team ever and his comments regarding his relationship with friend Imran Ahmed saw him facing an SFA charge amid allegations of racism. The Yorkshireman won over the Light Blue legions with his no-nonsense approach last summer as he defended their club and fought Gers' corner.

And Macmillan, General Secretary of the Rangers Supporters' Association, is happy for the chief executive to keep doing that â?? provided he is more careful with his message.

He told SportTimes: "He perhaps has to hold his breath and think about what he is going to say. The publicity over the last couple of weeks has been negative for the club. In the past, we had nobody at the club talking out for the fans and supporting them.

"Charles has since he has come into the club and we would obviously like that to continue but sometimes he perhaps he has to hold his breath.

"He made comments about this being the worst Rangers team ever and I don't think Charles, with all due respect, is in a position to know if that is the case.

"Comments like that don't help the situation.

"Ally has been left out to dry on a couple of occasions with things coming out and I think that is very unfair on him.

"He has handled himself magnificently in the last year and a half. I hope it is a learning curve for Charles.

"He has been here long enough to know that people will rest on his every word and he has got to be very careful about what he says at times.

"I don't think he means any malice in what he says, but things can be taken in the wrong way so he has to be careful."

It has been a bumpy ride for Green and Gers recently as their outspoken chief has come under the microscope from the press and public and been censured by SFA chief Stewart Regan.

His comments have often placed McCoist in a difficult situation, with the Gers boss left to field questions over his relationship with his boss and the departures of staff Tommy Wilson, Pip Yeates and Neil Murray as well as striker Fran Sandaza.

Macmillan said: "I have not heard people saying they think Charles is trying to marginalise Ally, but I can see why some could think that.

"There are stories coming out about cutting back behind the scenes but things like that should be handled in-house.

"If Charles wants to cut costs, he should talk it over with his board and his manager before anything appears in the press. It is very unfair on Ally."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/exclusive-rangers-fans-chief-urges-green-to-curb-comments-121100n.20775812