McCulloch: I will be back in Jig time

RANGERS captain Lee McCulloch will be ready to kick off the new campaign next month â?? despite being allowed to miss the start of pre-season training.

21410712.JPG

McCulloch will not join up with his team-mates at Murray Park on Monday as he will be in Turkey doing his Uefa Pro-Licence.

The 35-year-old has a year left to complete the highest level of coaching qualification available in Europe and will attend the Fifa Under-20 World Cup. But he will return to Scotland on June 29 and will join up with the squad on July 1.

And he should, if fit, be available to play for Ally McCoist's team when they play their Ramsden's Cup first-round match on July 27.

McCulloch said: "I'm looking forward to going to Turkey for the next stage of the Pro-Licence process and it'll be a valuable experience for me.

"I'm grateful to the manager for allowing me to join the rest of the squad a little later than I would have normally in order to take a step closer to gaining the qualification.

"I've been working hard during the close season to ensure I'm in the right shape for the new campaign and I'll be doing some work on that front while I'm away as well.

"In that sense, I don't feel I'll be too far behind the boys when I meet up with them again and I'm really looking forward to the new season starting."

Speaking to the official Rangers website, he added: "I'm excited about building on the successful year we had in the Third Division last year and I have been impressed with the signings the manager has made as we look to do that.

"Being at the Under-20 World Cup will help me a lot. Some of the most promising young players in the game will be competing and I'll be watching them at close quarters.

"The course I have been doing finishes next summer and then I'll be qualified to take on coaching jobs at any level, which is great as that's my aim once I retire from playing.

"I saw my friend David Weir being named as manager at Sheffield United last week and it's a great opportunity for him that he deserves.

"I would love the same sort of chance as him in the next few years and going to Turkey will hopefully take me closer to that."

Meanwhile, Rangers have announced Kane Hemmings is to leave at the end of the month after the club decided not to offer the 21-year-old forward a new deal.

And Head of Sport Science Adam Owen has joined former Ibrox captain Weir at Bramall Lane as assistant manager for performance. :(

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/mcculloch-i-will-be-back-in-jig-time-128303n.21408335?