KRIS BOYD could hand Rangers a festive filip by returning to the Ibrox strike-force sooner than expected.

The prolific striker damaged his ankle in the 1-0 defeat at Falkirk on December 3 after a dreadful tackle from defender Kenny Milne.

A scan showed ligament damage and the diagnosis from the Ibrox medical team was that Boyd would be out until the New Year, with the third round Scottish Cup tie at Dunfermline on January 7 his likely target.

But Boyd has been getting intensive treatment at Murray Park after missing the matches against Hibs, Partizan Belgrade and Celtic.

continued...

And, while he will be guided by the Rangers medical staff's expertise on when he should return, the 23-year-old could be back before the year is out.

That would be a massive boost for boss Paul Le Guen, with his team facing a testing schedule of four games in 10 days, starting with Saturday's high noon showdown at Aberdeen.

Asked if he could be back sooner than expected, Boyd said: "I'm getting treatment all the time and we'll see what happens. I have to wait and see what the physio say in terms of timescale. I have to go with them.

"Obviously it's very frustrating to be out injured and missing big games, but we'll see what the week brings."

Boyd knew immediately that he was in bother when Milne clattered into him from behind at the Falkirk Stadium.

He tried to play on, but quickly succumbed to the pain as he tried to run, and when he left the stadium on crutches after the final whistle it was clear there was a problem.

But the former Killie hitman is a quick healer. He admitted: "I tried to get up and play on after the tackle came in, but I couldn't put any weight on it.

"Of course it's a blow. But it's part and parcel of the game and every player goes through injuries and has to cope.

"It's the downside of the game for a player, but you must look to work hard and get back to the good side, which is playing, as quickly as possible.

"I've been fairly fortunate with injuries. Since coming to Rangers the only time I've been out was for the first game of the season at Motherwell which was due to suspension.

"So sitting in the stand for big games like Hibs, the Uefa Cup match and Celtic has been frustrating. But you need to get on with it."

Boyd, who has scored 30 goals in 32 starts since arriving from Rugby Park almost a year ago, no doubt kicked every ball at the weekend as Rangers fluffed decent chances against Celtic in the Old Firm clash that finished 1-1.

There are no certainties in this game. But the Ibrox legions, who have tried to back and inspire �£1.8million signing Filip Sebo all season as he goes through a lean time, would definitely have preferred Boyd to be one-on-one with Arthur Boruc in injury time rather than the Slovak, who drove his effort straight at the Pole.

Whether Boyd would have made the difference on Sunday is up for debate, but he would have loved to be out there looking for his first goal against Celtic.

As it was, his team-mates at least put up a show packed with pride and desire which, on another day, may well have carried them to the victory they wanted so badly.

"We know it has been a disappointing season, but the last few performances have been good and we need to look to the future," said the Scotland man, who has bagged 11 goals in Light Blue this term.

"It's about carrying on and trying to string together wins. We have to focus on the league with the Uefa Cup issue to one side now."

Many theories have been offered on what's gone wrong at Rangers in the first half of the season under Le Guen. So much was expected of the former Lyon manager, but the league table makes painful reading with just nine wins at the 19- game halfway stage.

There was also the terrible CIS Insurance Cup exit to St Johnstone which further damaged the confidence.

"It's easy to say this and that about what's happened," says Boyd. "But we seemed to have been winning two and three games in a row and then dropping points at places like Falkirk, which just shouldn't happen with all respect.

"But it has, and now we need to look forward. It's so important for us to try and keep the confidence growing and that does come through winning matches.

"The more good results we get the better the team will come on and we must keep fighting in the SPL. It's going to be hard to close such a big gap but no-one will give up."

Publication date 20/12/06