By Andrew Dickson

WHEN the first team has performed well in times gone by, a common complaint – and a wrong one in my opinion – has been the same can’t be said for Rangers’ youth sides.

It’s perhaps ironic, therefore, that as Ally McCoist’s men stutter a little just now, the under-20s are showing more promise collectively than many of their academy predecessors.

That’s not a criticism of the senior squad. As I said last week, it is operating well overall and although some performances could have been better, it’s moving in the right direction.

The pleasing thing is Gordon Durie’s kids are also excelling and they moved into first place in their league on Tuesday when they defeated previous leaders Hibernian 2-0.

In a conversation with Durie last week, he and I agreed we can’t do enough to talk up the club’s emerging talents – and that we arguably don’t.

Having read a BBC web article which ran through the biggest prospects in the Premiership a few days back, allow me to do the same with some who have caught the eye at Auchenhowie.

After all, those I’ve been impressed with in Durie’s team wouldn’t be out of place in such company. On the contrary, they lead many of them in the Under-20 League.

Darren Ramsay hasn’t been spoken of much since his Glasgow Cup final goal against Celtic in 2012 but he was terrific in midweek and scored a sensational clincher.

In turn, his performance meant we had yet another youngster to get excited about and if he keeps performing at his peak, he’ll have a real chance.

Ramsay’s direct, aggressive approach was so effective and it epitomised what you get with the under-20 team.

The lads have a pacy, attractive style but when games become scrappy their work ethic is excellent as they graft and fight for everything.

Up front, Calum Gallagher is a tireless runner in the mould of Kenny Miller who chases everything.

Andy Murdoch is a midfield terrier reminiscent of Stuart McCall and he’s complimented by the wonderfully-talented Charlie Telfer next to him.

Jamie Burrows has ferocious speed and great upper body strength so if he can work on his composure a little more he’ll have all the ingredients a forward needs.

At the back, Luca Gasparotto is a threat at set pieces and a solid centre-half. Craig Halkett’s the same.

There are others I could mention too and there’s nothing to be taken from the fact I don’t. In short, the team’s a very solid unit packed with potential.

One disappointment is so few have seen that in person and there were just 170 people at Murray Park five days ago, many of them parents and scouts.

When so many plead for youth to be given a chance higher up, it would be great if more turned out to support them.

Games are free to attend and well publicised right here on the club website. The fixtures page can also be accessed by clicking HERE.

With 14 under-20 ties left, Celtic remain title favourites having had more money to invest in their youth programme.

They’ve games in hand too that could send them top but with two Old Firm matches to play, Rangers have given themselves a chance and their destiny is in their own hands.

These are exciting times for the kids at Durie’s disposal. Why not come along and find out more for yourself, starting this Tuesday against St Mirren at 7pm in Dumbarton?

WHEN the first team has performed well in times gone by, a common complaint – and a wrong one in my opinion – has been the same can’t be said for Rangers’ youth sides.

It’s perhaps ironic, therefore, that as Ally McCoist’s men stutter a little just now, the under-20s are showing more promise collectively than many of their academy predecessors.

That’s not a criticism of the senior squad. As I said last week, it is operating well overall and although some performances could have been better, it’s moving in the right direction.

The pleasing thing is Gordon Durie’s kids are also excelling and they moved into first place in their league on Tuesday when they defeated previous leaders Hibernian 2-0.

In a conversation with Durie last week, he and I agreed we can’t do enough to talk up the club’s emerging talents – and that we arguably don’t.

Having read a BBC web article which ran through the biggest prospects in the Premiership a few days back, allow me to do the same with some who have caught the eye at Auchenhowie.

After all, those I’ve been impressed with in Durie’s team wouldn’t be out of place in such company. On the contrary, they lead many of them in the Under-20 League.

Darren Ramsay hasn’t been spoken of much since his Glasgow Cup final goal against Celtic in 2012 but he was terrific in midweek and scored a sensational clincher.

In turn, his performance meant we had yet another youngster to get excited about and if he keeps performing at his peak, he’ll have a real chance.

Ramsay’s direct, aggressive approach was so effective and it epitomised what you get with the under-20 team.

The lads have a pacy, attractive style but when games become scrappy their work ethic is excellent as they graft and fight for everything.

Up front, Calum Gallagher is a tireless runner in the mould of Kenny Miller who chases everything.

Andy Murdoch is a midfield terrier reminiscent of Stuart McCall and he’s complimented by the wonderfully-talented Charlie Telfer next to him.

Jamie Burrows has ferocious speed and great upper body strength so if he can work on his composure a little more he’ll have all the ingredients a forward needs.

At the back, Luca Gasparotto is a threat at set pieces and a solid centre-half. Craig Halkett’s the same.

There are others I could mention too and there’s nothing to be taken from the fact I don’t. In short, the team’s a very solid unit packed with potential.

One disappointment is so few have seen that in person and there were just 170 people at Murray Park five days ago, many of them parents and scouts.

When so many plead for youth to be given a chance higher up, it would be great if more turned out to support them.

Games are free to attend and well publicised right here on the club website. The fixtures page can also be accessed by clicking HERE.

With 14 under-20 ties left, Celtic remain title favourites having had more money to invest in their youth programme.

They’ve games in hand too that could send them top but with two Old Firm matches to play, Rangers have given themselves a chance and their destiny is in their own hands.

These are exciting times for the kids at Durie’s disposal. Why not come along and find out more for yourself, starting this Tuesday against St Mirren at 7pm in Dumbarton?

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/opinion/item/6139-exciting-times-for-youths