Why Rangers should put more faith in youth

Guest DonegalBear

At the present time the only youth player who has been given a proper chance to cement his place in the team is Lewis Macleod and even then it is out of position on the left hand side of midfield.

He's only been used on the left this season. Last season he was playing in central midfield for most of our campaign and only lost out on some game time because of his injury.

That blogger echoes the words of many Bears and boarders. I assume we will blood some more youngsters in the coming months. But a) not as long as the title is being won and b) games are "safe". Rangers supporters first and foremost demand success, even in a meaningless game. We see and read that each time we struggle on the park or manage not to win a game. The vocabulary used on such occasions tell you a very straight forward story.

We’ve already missed one opportunity, and a second one is slipping away. Give youth a chance.

I beg to disagree. We fielded at least 9 youngsters regularly last season, some out of necessity, some because of ability. We all knew how the season ended on a low and talented youngsters or not, we hardly shone as a team. It is sure up to McCoist to field more talent, but he will not do it just for the sake of it. Many youngsters had their chance last season and those with quality and consistency are always there and thereabouts. We will have - probably out of necessity again (which ain't that bad for the youngsters) - to blood some more talent over the coming seasons and you'd hope some of the talent rise to the occasion.

Guest DonegalBear
He's only been used on the left this season. Last season he was playing in central midfield for most of our campaign and only lost out on some game time because of his injury.

I know that, but he's being played out of position this season to accommodate older players who aren't as good IMO.

That blogger echoes the words of many Bears and boarders. I assume we will blood some more youngsters in the coming months. But a) not as long as the title is being won and b) games are "safe". Rangers supporters first and foremost demand success, even in a meaningless game. We see and read that each time we struggle on the park or manage not to win a game. The vocabulary used on such occasions tell you a very straight forward story.

I beg to disagree. We fielded at least 9 youngsters regularly last season, some out of necessity, some because of ability. We all knew how the season ended on a low and talented youngsters or not, we hardly shone as a team. It is sure up to McCoist to field more talent, but he will not do it just for the sake of it. Many youngsters had their chance last season and those with quality and consistency are always there and thereabouts. We will have - probably out of necessity again (which ain't that bad for the youngsters) - to blood some more talent over the coming seasons and you'd hope some of the talent rise to the occasion.

What are you counting as youngsters? I assume not players like Hutton/Perry etc.?

Whilst you probably have a point in that McLeod is being pushed out of position to accommodate players who wont bring as much to Rangers long term another way of looking at is that the manager feels this is the best use of his resources on the field.

Perhaps McCoist feels if he has McLeod CM with Black or Law then he doesn't have a decent alternative at LM. So the compromise is:

McLeod Black Law Aird

Is more effective than e,g,

Smith McLeod Law Aird

Whilst McLeod may be less effective individually in the first option, the midfield unit is far stronger in the second. Not saying it's right but I think maybe it is forgotten or overlooked.

I was listening to TalkSport again today as I usually do in the car these days and one of Colin Murray's co-hosts, I forget who, said that Wayne Rooney should be played in midfield for Man U at the moment. Now Rooney will most likely be less effective individually or less happy to play midfield rather than as a supporting striker. But Utd are so shit in midfield that playing Rooney there makes the team better. I know the team's and players' qualities are not the same but it is the same concept.

I dont actually agree with McCoist here though. I think I would like to see McLeod, Law and Black fight it out for 2 CM spots and play, currently, Aird and Templeton wide. However, that could see McLeod get less game time potentially and be more detrimental to his growth?

Also whilst we all seem to advocate playing the likes of Aird and Templeton on the flanks at the moment I think this reflects the level of opposition. I remember Eck getting destroyed on here for playing a midfield 4 with 2 wingers. So whilst that looks like the best set up for us to take advantage of our superior skill right now it might need a re-think in two years time or in playing Celtic or Dundee United in the cup.

Hegarty (20), Naismith, Hutton (22 next week), McKay, Macleod, Gallacher, Crawford, Faure, Cole, Aird, Hemmings, Mitchell, Gasparotto, Murdoch, Stoney ... all played their part and yes, I viewed Perry (23 today), Hegarty and Hutton not as full senior players but chaps who took their chance when we switched companies. Experience-wise not better than Argyriou, who was also rather young. People who might not have seen a first team jersey for us in a while either.

Gallagher, McKay, Aird, Gasparotto, Macleod, Crawford and Co. took their chance, Faure as well. Add to that Nicky Clark. We do look to the future and whether or not the rest is good enough to make it remains to be seen.

I know that, but he's being played out of position this season to accommodate older players who aren't as good IMO.

Absolutely, I wouldn't argue with that, but that's not what you wrote in the article and it doesn't read as though that's what you were implying either. It reads as though he hasn't been given a chance in his favoured position in central midfield at all, when obviously he played about 30 games for us in central midfield last season before he got the bad injury.

Not a criticism, just an observation since you did ask for 'thoughts'...