5286f6df4573685dc100cecc4948a177_XL.jpg

LEE WALLACE has reiterated his desire to remain at Rangers for as long as possible after winning the two main awards at the club’s end of season dinner last night.

The Light Blues vice-captain was named as both Player of the Year and the Players’ Player of the Year at the ceremony in the Hilton Glasgow.

Wallace has been in excellent form once again this term and his accolades yesterday follow his PFA Scotland League One Player of the Year gong last week.

The 26-year-old has maintained ever since the club was voted out of the top flight of Scottish football two years ago that he wanted to stay at Ibrox and help it rise again.

In January two bids for him from Nottingham Forest were rejected and the former Hearts star was delighted with that as it allowed him to stay focused on his objective.

Now he’s looking forward to life in the Championship next season as Gers prepare for the third and hopefully final instalment of their journey back to a place among the elite.

Wallace said: “I knew some of the boys at Rangers when I first came into the club and they always spoke about the bug you get here.

“It didn’t take me very long to get that. I maybe didn’t grow up as a supporter but I certainly knew all about Rangers and I know all about them now.

“I know what the club means to the fans and what the traditions and history of the club mean to people as well.

“It was part of my plan that I wanted to stay here and I want to do that for a very long time and be part of a unique part of the club’s history.

“We’re in uncharted waters just now as a club and it’s a big aim of mine to become successful with Rangers because that’s what we’re about as a club.

“I’m really enjoying things and I’m ready for any challenge we face. We knew that coming up from the Third Division, League One might be a bit harder this year.

“We expect another step up next year and the Championship is probably going to be a bit more of a challenge with the type of opposition we’ll have.

“It’s a league we are certainly ready to go and win and dominate. We are Rangers and that’s exactly the situation we want.

“We will go into it looking to improve and to get back to the big time, where we should be playing our football.”

Wallace admits that after playing 48 games in 2013/14 and failing to win just seven of them, Rangers need time to rest, recharge and galvanise themselves for next campaign.

But he’s in no doubt that when they return for pre-season training on June 25 they’ll kick off an attempt to win a third consecutive promotion which will ultimately be successful.

Wallace added: “Getting back to the top is a massive motivation for us and it’s strange because at the moment, we do need to get away and have a break mentally and physically.

“At the same time, when we’re nearing the last week or so of the holidays we’ll start itching to play again and we’ll be ready for it.

“I’ll not be any different because we’ll know we’re a season away from where we should be playing our football.

“The manager is going to bring in a bit of help and we will get back up next year. We’ll be ready to go again after a good break.

“There won’t be any easy games but we’ll thrive on that. When I played in the team at first there were never really any easy games anyway.

“We know it will be a bit more competitive but that’s the challenge we face. We’re getting to the better, more enjoyable times now.

“We are Rangers and we’ll go out there and do what we’re expected to do. That’s win games of football.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/6918-this-is-where-i-belong?