Great To See Players Returning

1e8a907d2a24eb714b620ee61bc31aef_XL.jpg

ALLY MCCOIST admits it is pleasing to see former Rangers stars showing a desire to return to the club and play a part in the journey back to the top of Scottish football.

Kris Boyd’s decision to sign a one-year deal this morning was another massive boost for the manager after Kenny Miller joined the Light Blues for a third time on June 5.

Having already enjoyed great success at Ibrox, McCoist believes it says so much about Rangers that experienced stars such as Boyd and Miller are desperate to return and he couldn’t be happier to have both of them on board for next season in the Championship.

The manager said: “I’ve got to say I’m delighted with it. You have guys who have an obvious, genuine love for the club and they have suffered watching their club go through what we’ve gone through in the last two years.

“It’s really, really pleasing and reassuring for myself and all the staff, and indeed the supporters, to know that great players who have performed for the club before want to come back and help the club through the next campaign.

“The good thing for us is we have them in early enough that they can do the pre-season and get right back into it.

“It’s one of those things we say that when you leave the club it’s always in your heart and I think that’s the case with, if not all, but the vast majority of all Rangers players that leave.

“For example Carlos Bocanegra is away but he can’t wait to meet up with us when we go across to America. So there is something special about our football club and it’s fantastic.

“It gives everyone a real boost that two players, Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller, who still have absolutely plenty to offer the football club in terms of their performances on the park, are willing to come back.”

With Darren McGregor also joining Rangers this summer McCoist now has competition for places in most positions on the pitch but he still hopes to bring in further new faces as the club looks to gain promotion to the Premiership at the first attempt.

He added: “We had to re-assess the squad and strengthen the squad for what will be a very, very difficult campaign next year.

“We have three in so far and I would be delighted if we can add to that and strengthen the squad again for what will be, and I am stating the obvious, a tougher campaign.

“The last few campaigns have not been easy by any stretch of the imagination but we’ve been comfortable winners in both leagues.

“This will be different I would imagine in the respect the majority of the teams are full time. You would expect the level of competition to be higher.

“We played three teams from the Championship last year and had two victories against Queen of the South and Falkirk and we lost the late extra-time goal to Raith Rovers. That gives us an indication of what we are facing.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/7095-great-to-see-players-returning