High Standards For Hibs

Thursday, 19 March 2015 17:00

High Standards For Hibs

Written by Alice Hedworth

9a1981aad6b2699024f68a9d769abc50_XL.jpg

STUART McCall has spent his first week in charge slamming home the Rangers standards to his players – according to Tom Walsh.

The 18-year-old has been impressed by his new boss’ approach and believes the changes are helping improve things both on the training ground and in games.

And with a crucial clash in the race for the play-offs coming up at Easter Road on Sunday the youngster is hoping all the pieces of the McCall jigsaw come together.

Walsh said: “There has been a brightness since the manager has come in, which is probably normal but I think everybody is enjoying the new regime.

“Demands and standards have been heightened and obviously this is Rangers and you have to have standards all the time, we all know that, but he is really drumming it into us.

“If you make a mistake it is a case of five chest jumps or five press ups, so he is making sure that we are getting to the best standard we can, because that then filters through onto the pitch and we’ll start playing at a higher level.

“He has tried to bring in a new style and we saw improvements against Alloa and I think the results will come with that.

“We did better with the ball as a team than we have recently so I think if we can hold on to leads and take a few more chances when they come it will happen for us.

“Things have been much the same off the pitch but on matchday as long as you’re in the changing room for an hour and a half before the game he is happy for you to have your own pre-match meal.

“It is entirely up to you, it’s how you feel and all players are different and some still go for pre-match but it’s good he gives us the option.”

With Hearts dominating the league, second place has now become the coveted spot in the table and Hibs currently sit there, six points ahead of Gers.

Rangers trip to Edinburgh on Sunday will play a huge part in determining who finishes where come May 2.

After starting McCall’s first two games in charge midfielder Walsh is hoping to retain his place in the side for such an important fixture.

He said: “That is the kind of game you thrive on and want to be involved in and I’m sure there will be some atmosphere.

“It’s a massive game, not just for the league but I think Scottish football will be watching on Sunday.

“I think there is still a long way to go but I’m sure Sunday will be a big factor in the battle for second place.

“But we just have to go into every game and do our best, try and perform and get the three points, which is what the fans want - it will be a huge game for both teams and we need to get the result.

“You can see they have a lot of good players, especially in the middle of the park but we can’t worry about what they’ve got.

“We need to play and try and create things and score and I’m sure the goals will come we just need to dig in.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/8853-high-standards-for-hibs

“If you make a mistake it is a case of five chest jumps or five press ups

Five? bar Boyd they should be able to do that instantly. Should be at least 20 that would make them think harder.

Perhaps they want faster pace in training so five is quick but in that case a coach should be taking notes of how many mistake each player makes then they should be accumulated into push ups at the end of the session.

Edited by Gribz