Giovanni van Bronckhorst named Feynoord manager for next season

Giovanni van Bronckhorst named Feynoord manager for next season. That rules him out of any Rangers scenario.

Feynoord are looking for an experienced No.2 to sit next to him. I wonder how friendly he is with Ally.:)

Former Glasgow Rangers and Arsenal star moving into management

J

Giovanni van Bronckhorst played for Glasgow Rangers, Arsenal and Barcelona during a playing career that included over 105 caps for Holland.

A favourite among Glasgow Rangers fans during his three-year stay at Ibrox, Giovanni van Bronckhorst is set to take his first tentative steps into football management from next season.

It follows the official announcement that the former Arsenal and Barcelona full-back is set to become the manager of Feyenoord from the start of next season.

Signed by then-manager Dick Advocaat back in 1998, Van Bronckhorst played 117 games for Rangers over three seasons at the club, scoring 22 goals along the way.

During that time he helped the Gers capture back-to-back doubles of the Scottish Premier League and Scottish Cup as well as a League Cup during his debut season in Glasgow.

Sold on to Arsenal for £8.5 million in the summer of 2001, as reported by the Guardian, a cruciate knee ligament injury prevented the Dutchman from making more of an impact in north London.

Though he played 21 league games during the Gunners' Premier League title success of 2002, he ultimately opted to move to Barcelona where he linked up with compatriot Frank Rijkaard.

While in Spain he won two La Liga titles as well as the Champions League before finishing his career with Feyenoord.

His final game was the 2010 World Cup final, with the full-back captaining the Holland team beaten 1-0 by Spain after extra time.

View image | gettyimages.com

Assistant manager for the Oranje at under-21 level and most recently second-in-command at Feyenoord, Van Bronckhorst will step into the top job in the summer.

Impress in Holland and who knows, a return to Rangers or perhaps even Arsenal could yet be on the cards.

Sorry Pete, I didn't notice this thread, I've just recently posted it into 'footy chat'

Normally that would be the right place. i put it in here because many were hoping he would be at Rangers next season.

Good guy is Gio. Pity he's at a scummy club.

I don't know what you mean by scummy but I can't find any religious ties to Feynoord. They started in a pub which can't be a bad thing. :) They do have a Hooligan element to their support but the club itself is a fine club with the best Youth set up in Holland. They are also now working with the police to find the culprits who rioted in Rome so as they can ban them from the stadium.

They let virtually their whole first team squad go a few years ago and played mostly their youth team and finished 2nd in the league and should have won it. That also Qualified them for the CL.

Nothing wrong with the club and most of the support.