Mining the signings (from FF)

In the old days I understood that the weekly pre-match press conference was a two-way beneficial process where the papers got content for their match-day editions, and the clubs got some good PR and perhaps some more people turning up to watch the game.

Nowadays, especially so in our case with the make-up of tabloid journalism in Scotland, I do not see it as a two-way street. The papers still need content, but we do not need them. We have our own social media, website and various fans forums that are much more entertaining and informative than the Record ever will be, and I for one would bin the Friday presser, the rags in Scotland do not deserve this freebie when all they give us back is snide comments, untruthful articles, and abuse our supporters.

We could easily do an in-house one-to-one with the manager and a player which gets the same content out there, but is easily contained to avoid any damaging slants being taken. As it is on video, nothing can be taken out of context which happens far too often in the papers. If the papers want to pick it up, they will need to credit our official website with it.

Papers can ask for one-to-ones with the manager from time to time, (obviously anyone with previous would be denied) but we should be in complete control of our own output, and this in turn would drive traffic to our club website, which in turn brings more sponsorship money and attention to it.

I would be happy to give tv (those Companies who pay for tv rights, either live or highlights) a pre-match interview as it is harder to show things out of context on video, and we obviously have to support those companies who support us or our league.