Split Centre-Backs And The Need For A Pivot

There are a few: Arsenal, Real Madrid, Juventus, Bayern Munich...etc. It's a good point, though. Do you propose leaving three defenders back (RCB, LCB and LB) and a DM? Or just the three defenders? If it's the former, then the opposition have an easier time defending, and we have less player to attack with; if the latter, then a pivot would become the third defender, while also allowing width on both sides.

I would also suggest that full backs push the opponents winger back, making them less of a threat. It wasn't really St Johnstone's wingers that caused the damage, but their forward. We had enough to cover the 1st goal, but too many players failed to block/take out the player; their 2nd was just poor defending, not exposure on the flanks; and their 3rd was a long ball down the middle, again no exposure on the flanks. Others have already mentioned that the our centre-backs were too zonal, letting the player run, rather than cutting off passing lines and the attack -- I felt we did that better the second half, with our centre-backs stepping out to intercept, rather than getting run in behind. Someone very colourfully suggested one centre-back should drop deep, acting as sweeper, the other should mark Anally. Our centre-backs are also quite narrow: they need to spread out more IMO.

If we have a pivot, then one of the centre-backs takes on the responsibility of covering the flank, and we get an extra man to act as an interceptor, allowing one or two of the centre-backs to act as sweeper.

Arsenal - I would say Wenger has generally always favoured a balance in his full backs - Monreal isn't a particularly attacking full back.

Juventus - both full backs certainly go forward a lot but not at the same time. They're very solid defensively and have a pretty cautious style. Certainly in the CL they do, I don't watch as much Italian football as I used too. They definitely don't just constantly leave two defenders at the back like we do.

Bayern - Bayern are coached by Guardiola so are obviously going to follow his Barca inspired model.

I'm not sure what the best option is for us, I've never liked us playing 3 at the back though and this idea of two centre backs, then relying on a 35 year old midfielder to help the defence fills me with no confidence whatsoever. The defence was at 6's and 7's in our last game, one goal coming directly from out wide, the other two mainly being due to two centre backs who were spread too far apart covering the lack of full backs, and who just are not comfortable playing together or in this system.

I also am of the belief that we should be playing a set system at all ages and regardless of the opposition, varying the attacking mentality based on the quality of the opposition. I don't want to see us playing one system in the league, then another in old firm games and in Europe. If we were to have 2 defenders and a pivot in a European match we would get destroyed.

I think the defensive setup Chelsea had was pretty much close to perfection last year, at least domestically. Four very strong defenders, two full backs still capable of attacking and one enforcer in the midfield.