Saturday Was Still Tough

301115_training_holt_halliday_02-990x420.jpg

RANGERS’ players had just as tough a Saturday at training as if they’d played against Raith Rovers according to Andy Halliday.

The midfielder revealed that the squad were put through a gruelling training session to replicate the called-off game at Stark’s Park.

He and his teammates were left puffing by the management team and Halliday joked the team wished they had been playing Raith Rovers at times.

The 24-year-old said: “We were at Murray Park for 10.45am to have pre-match and we were supposed to leave at half 11.

“We had heard about the inspection and then the gaffer came in and told us, so it was training and obviously we’d much rather play than train!

“Honestly we had a really tough session on Saturday and because of the weather we were inside which makes it all that tougher to breathe than being outside.

“Of course we were wishing we’d been playing 90 minutes instead and picking up three points.

“It was good to recharge the batteries by getting Sunday and Monday off and after every break we come into training on the Tuesday and it’s important that the intensity is there and it was.

“We just want to play and we do all the right things all week to get towards Saturday and you’re fully focussed so it was a pity it got called off, especially for the fans that will more than likely now e to travel on a Tuesday evening.

“It was incredibly frustrating; we had built up a bit of momentum off the back of a couple of very good wins and some good scorelines.

“It’s never nice to get a game called off but sometimes it’s got to be expected at this time of year.”

As a lifelong Rangers fan Halliday has a host of friends and relatives who travel regularly to away games and he was aware of their troubles in trying to make it to Kirkcaldy.

Because of that the former Middlesbrough and Bradford man thinks an earlier call should have been made on the postponement.

He continued: “You’re very prepared by then, you gear up all week towards it and then especially on Thursday and Friday it is all eyes on the game and you do your rest, recovery and proper preparation on the Friday night.

“I think you have to take into account the fans that are travelling; I knew of quite a few supporters buses that were leaving at 10 in the morning.

“They are an hour and a half into the journey before the game gets called off so I think it is something clubs have to look at and there was a lot of rain.

“You can clear the pitch but the areas around the stadium you can’t and I think that is the reason the Morton v Hibs game got cancelled so for reasons like that you have to take the fans into account.”

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/saturday-still-tough/

A big difference between that and kyle hutton saying he was finished at 11oclock on a Friday and going home to watch dvds lol..

I watched Rangers training and playing in Germany pre-season a few times and was absolutely shocked. I watched them under Advocaat in Holland and they were very professional. Under Walter I felt it was pretty poor with players walking on to the pitch in Bath slippers and only putting their boots on at the last minute. warming up was a nonentity. With Ally the whole show was poor as we were getting beat by low league Amateur teams. And of course only having 2 weeks of training before a huge European game was absolutely dreadful management. You could see the difference this season when Warburton had the players extra fit and had also embedded a total new system in pre-season.