The Scottish League Cup

This trophy is very important lads as you know, yes the set-up this term seems absolutely crazy and makes us all wonder what the **** is this all about, but let's look back in time.

Sectional ties (Group Stage) were the order of the day when the League Cup was first introduced in the '46/47 season.

Rangers drew Morton, St Mirren & Queens Park in their first ever venture into this brand new competition.

Games were to be home and away fixtures with 2 points for a win and 1 point for a drawn game.

The Sectional/Group finished with Rangers winning all their games with 12 points and Ca 18-2 goal difference, Morton were runners-up but unlike todays farcical set-up found themselves eliminated from the competition for good.

We were then drawn with Dundee Utd in what was the Quarter-Final played over 2 legs...Rangers won 2-1 at Ibrox after Willie Waddell secured a 1-0 half time lead, the 2nd half saw United equalise with a 61st minute penalty from Lister before Caskie put Rangers ahead five minutes later to end the scoring before a 40,000 crowd.

On to Tannadice now...18,000 watched as Rangers forward Duncanson scored just 6 minutes into the match for a 3-1 aggregate lead, Lister's equaliser on the night (again on the 61st minute mark) was too little too late, Rangers progressed to the Semi-Final.

Hibernian were the opponents...Hibernian at that time were closest to Rangers than any other club in Scotland, in fact just two weeks before this Semi-Final tie they dumped us out of the Sottish cup 2-0 in a Second Round Replay at Easter Rd.

Anyway...as I say two weeks later at the one-off Semi-Final tie at Hampden watched by a crowd of 125,000 Rangers trounced them, first half goals from Gillick, Thornton and Waddell had Rangers cruising before a late consolation goal from Cuthbertson ended the scoring.

Aberdeen were to be our opponents in the first ever League Cup Final...yeah the sheep I hear you say.

Excerpt from the match report:

Having won the toss, the Aberdeen captain gave Rangers the benefit of the sweeping wind and set himself and his colleagues the task of battling against it and the sheets of rain that fell during the first half. Despite this, Aberdeen had three clear scoring chances before Rangers took the lead in the 25th minute. Aberdeen defender McLaughlan failed to trap a goal-kick from his keeper and Thornton sent Duncanson away.The winger crossed and Gillick, practically on the goal-line headed home.

In 33 minutes Gillick's pass let Rutherford cross and Williamson bustled the ball over the line. 4 minutes from the interval Duncanson dribbled past their right back before rounding their keeper to slot in for Rangers 3rd goal. Duncanson added a 4th goal 12 minutes after the restart.

Rutherford proved an excellent substitute for the injured Waddell.

I just love these old reports.

The Sectional/Group stages continued right up until season 1976-77 before it was scrapped.

5 years later for the 1981-82 season the format was re-invented, not sure why?

Rangers again like in 1946 found themselves in the Section/Group stage alongside MORTON, (Raith Rovers & Dundee were the other sides in there) and just as had happened 35 years earlier Rangers won the section with 2nd place Morton exitng the competition.

Rangers met Brechin City in the Quarters winning 5-0 on aggregate (Dave McPherson making his debut in the 1-0 2nd leg victory)

The Semi-Final was a two legged affair against St.Mirren, I'm not sure why but the Paisley club played at Hampden against us for the first leg...the match finished 2-2, the 2nd leg played at Ibrox saw St Mirren take the lead from the penalty spot before half time later Bett replied, also from the spot, then MacDonald (John) grabbed a late 87th screamer to send Rangers into the Final.

The November 1981 Final at Hampden was against holders Dundee Utd who were looking to win the trophy for the 3rd time in succession.

Rangers staged a remarkable comeback to shatter Dundee United's dream of becoming only the second team to win the trophy 3 times in succession. Sturrock missed two good chances in the first half but he made the pass from which Milne scored in the 48th minute. 7 minutes later United had a goal from Sturrock - a blistering 20-yard drive - chalked off for offside against Holt.

With 16 minutes left Hegarty pulled down MacDonald on the edge of the penalty area and Cooper sent a swerving free-kick into the net although McAlpine did get a hand to it.

In the 88th minute Ian Redford, a substitute for Gordan Daziel, picked up a loose header from Hegarty and from 20 yards sent a lob over McAlpine, who had come off his line, to win the Cup for Rangers.

Season 1983-84 would see the end of Sectional ties forever, the format was scrapped completely due to empty grounds because of lack of interest and poor attendance records and general disdain from the paying football public.

Let's have a look at that particular season in history as well.

Rangers found themselves in a group alongside Hearts, Clydebank & StMirren this time, Rangers walked this Section winning all games finishing with maximum points (12) and a 18-0 goal difference, 2nd place Hearts vacated right then.

Winning the Section/Group meant entry straight to the Semi-Finals (I have no idea why)

Our Semi-Final was a two-legged gig just like earlier rules, Dundee United, yes them again, were our opponents, the first leg at their dump...Davie Dodds (remember the unkind abuse this guy got? Aye him) scored after 67 minutes, Dave Mitchell (remember him? naw me tae) scored with 5 minues to go 1-1.

2nd leg Ibrox: Clark and Redford secured a 3-1 aggregate win.

THE FINAL: This particuler Final was against a club who seem to for whatever reason have a disturbing obsession with their rivals Rangers Football Club.

I can sit here all day and mention the obsession of the supporters of the club we met that day in March 1984.

I don't really want to mess up my post by being side-tracked, but at this moment I will allow myself.

Celtic had a great side once...they are proud of it and rightly so. What do they do?

PLACE A STATUE OF BILLY MCNEIL FACING IBROX STADIUM???? That's serious obsession, and to an extent makes me wonder why are they thinking of Rangers when presenting their history to their own fans? I've enjoyed a belly laugh with family on that one, and will continue to for as long as I live.

That's just this Bears take on it so allow me to get back on topic ffs! Where was I?...yes,

The League Cup final of March 1984.

This was an amazing Final with Celtic looking down and out only to come back battling from 2 down to equalise from a last-gasp penalty from Mark Reid which sent the game into extra-time. 10 minutes into extra-time Sinclair came on for Provan. 4 minutes later McCoist was sent crashing by Aitken. This time Bonner blocked McCoist's kick but the Ranger followed up to score.

Rangers 3 Celtic 2 McCoist(44pen,61,104) McClair(67) Reid(89pen)

Rangers have won the League Cup more times than any other club since it's introduction in 1946.