Joe Jordan reckons Barton and Kranjcar could be perfect match at Rangers

ONE is a mouthy, excitable Englishman. The other is a cool, calm Croat.

But Joe Jordan reckons odd couple Joey Barton and Niko Kranjcar are a perfect midfield match for Rangers.

The Scotland legend worked with both players at QPR and feels Mark Warburton has pulled off a masterstroke in landing them.

Jordan told SunSport: “I’m sure that Niko and Joey will complement each other really well. I know games are often won and lost in midfield, so Rangers will do well if those two can click, which I’m sure they will.

“I imagine they’ll be quite the good cop, bad cop act. Niko has the skill and the mentality to lead attacks and Joey? Well Joey, will just be Joey. It will be interesting, to say the least.

“Everyone knows about Joey’s volatile ways, but he’s also a good footballer and he’s really useful at set-pieces, which are crucial these days.

“Niko has got great ability, a great touch, great vision, which will be important when teams come to Ibrox and sit back and defend in numbers.

“But he’s also one of those players who can travel with speed and attack space, which can be crucial when you’re counter-attacking.

“Niko can dominate games. He’s an intelligent player who works hard for the team and that’s often overlooked

“He can get on the ball, he has a very good range of passing and he can make goals and score goals as well.

“He has lots of qualities, but he will need midfielders around him who can help him out. For me, it’s a real coup for Rangers to have got him.”

Jordan coached Kranjcar at Portsmouth, Spurs and QPR and believes he will be a fantastic addition at Ibrox.

He said: “From my experience of working with him at three different clubs, Niko is a terrific player, but he’s also a terrific lad.

“I’m certain Mark Warburton will find Niko is a real gem on the field and a gem off it as well.

“I know him well as a person as well as a player and I’d vouch for him any day of the week.

“Niko is a smashing lad. He’s no Billy Big Time. He has seen a lot of football and he knows the game well.

“He will be one of the biggest names in Scottish football next season, but he won’t let that affect him.

“He is a very down-to- earth lad who understands his place in the team and values and respects everyone around him.

“He has bags of talent, but he’s also really humble. He is very passionate about his football.

“Niko works really hard at his game and he won’t be fazed by how tough it is because he’s a tough cookie himself.

“He has got exceptional ability which has been shown by the fact he has played so many times for his country and also that he has done really well at club level. He was in the Croatia team that beat England to reach the Euros and he even scored a goal at Wembley, which was a real beauty.”

Jordan believes Gers boss Warburton’s only task with Kranjcar will be to ensure he is at full speed after his brief spell in the NASL with New York Cosmos.

He said: “That is vital. Niko needs to be consistently playing because he’s one of those players whose fitness depends on being a first-team regular.

“We had a problem at QPR when he wasn’t playing regularly. It didn’t do him any favours, but when he was playing regularly, he was a real asset to the team.

“Niko’s had a patchy time of late football-wise, so it will be vital he gets up to speed with the coaches at Rangers because it doesn’t matter where you play, whether it be England, Ukraine, America or Scotland, if your fitness is not up to much then you will struggle.

“I understand why Rangers have gone for him. He has the experience and the ability, but the key thing will be that Mark sees enough of him to play him every week. But because he’s gone over to America to get him is a bit of a masterstroke because it means they will have a whole summer worth of training to make sure he hits the ground running.

“With a pre-season under his belt, he can be one of the stars of Scottish football next season. That is a plus and a must and he will come out of the blocks in good condition.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/7201764/Good-cop-bad-cop-Joe-Jordan-reckons-Barton-and-Kranjcar-could-be-perfect-match-at-Rangers.html

Jordan talks as if we have signed Niko Kranjcar!,have I missed something?

Wasn't sure if this should be in the transfer rumour thread?

Edited by ian1964