Sami Khedira says Rangers’ Ibrox has best atmosphere in football

BEST IN THE WORLD Juventus and Germany star Sami Khedira says Rangers’ Ibrox has best atmosphere in football

The German midfielder has won the highest honours in the game and has collected 69 caps for the World Champions

GERMAN World Cup and Champions League winner Sami Khedira has revealed the best atmosphere he’s ever experienced in football was in Glasgow.

But it wasn’t during one of Celtic‘s famous Champions League nights…it was at Ibrox.

The Juventus star has won the highest honours in the game and has collected 69 caps for the World Champions.

Khedira has won the Bundesliga with Stuttgart, La Liga with Real Madrid and Serie A with Juventus, as well as being instrumental in Germany’s World Cup win in Brazil three years ago.

But he maintains the best atmosphere he has ever experienced was in his Champions League debut – a match against Rangers ten years ago.

Khedira started at Ibrox, before being replaced by Yıldıray Basturk. But Walter Smith’s men came from behind to win 2-1 thanks to goals from Charlie Adam and Jean Claude Darcheville, which cancelled out a Mario Gomez opener.

And that game made a lasting impression on Khedira.

He said: “I was still young and didn’t know what to expect.

“I knew all about the atmosphere in the Bundesliga, but not the Champions League. It was a totally different level.

“My first game was away at Glasgow Rangers and it was phenomenal.

“To this day it was the game with the most impressive atmosphere I have ever experienced.

“I immediately thought…’this is very special indeed.’

“It had a unique atmosphere, you feel like the whole world is watching and I have loved the competition ever since.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/390426/juventus-and-germany-star-sami-khedira-says-rangers-ibrox-has-best-atmosphere-in-football/