Callum Paterson signs a three-year deal with Cardiff

Callum Paterson leaves Hearts to sign for Cardiff City on three year deal.

Rangers were interested in a summer move for the Scotland international but the English Championship side have finally landed the man they tried to sign a year ago.

Cardiff City have won the race to sign Hearts full back Callum Paterson.

The Scotland international has signed a three-year deal with the Bluebirds after spending the last five years with the Jambos who will net a compensation fee of around £400,000.

Rangers were interested a summer swoop for the 22-year-old but he was determined to make the move to England after knocking back a new deal at Tynecastle.

Paterson has been out of action since December after a painful cruciate ligament injury stalled an impressive season - and cost him a lucrative January move to West Ham United.

But Cardiff have been on the trail of the 22-year-old since last summer and have finally landed their man.

Paterson told the Cardiff website: “It’s nice and early so I’ve got a lot of time to bed in, get to know my way around the area and introduce myself. It’s great timing and I’m happy to be here."

Wigan had three bids for the five-times capped full back knocked back last year while Derby were also interested.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/callum-paterson-leaves-hearts-sign-10577738