Argentinian defender Federico Allende admits poking opponent with needle

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/15/argentinian-federico-allende-poking-opponent-needle

• Sport Club Pacifico player faces sack for attacking Estudiantes’ Juan Otero

• ‘We know we had to make the game dirty, top-division players don’t like it’

Reuters

Thursday 15 June 2017 16.00 BST Last modified on Thursday 15 June 2017 16.09 BST

An Argentinian fourth-division player is facing the sack after openly boasting that he poked an opponent with a needle during his team’s shock cup win against the top-tier side Estudiantes.

Federico Allende, who plays for Sport Club Pacifico in the Federal B championship, said he was inspired by the former Argentina coach Carlos Bilardo, who was reputed to have meted out similar treatment to opponents in his playing days.

Allende was marking the Estudiantes forward Juan Otero for most of the Copa Argentina match, which Sport Club won 3-2, and said that he nipped his rival several times.

“I had to turn to the great Bilardo,” Allende said in a radio interview. “The poor guy [Otero], it did his head in. But what do you want me to do? We know we had to make the game dirty because top-division players don’t like it. He must have hated me, but that’s football.”

Otero confirmed that he was poked four times and that he told the referee, who took no action. “I know it was the game of his life, but it’s still just a football match,” he said.

However, the Pacifico president, Héctor Moncada, said Allende’s behaviour had overshadowed his team’s famous win and he would recommend sacking the player. “We are shocked; it’s put a dampener on the team’s work,” he said.

Bilardo, who himself was part of a highly successful Estudiantes team in the late 1960s, coached Argentine to World Cup victory in 1986 and the runners-up spot four years later.

Personally, I think that the boy was stitched up......