Niall McGinn completes move to Korean outfit Gwangju FC

The Northern Ireland attacker becomes the first Irish player ever to sign for a Korean club.

FORMER Aberdeen star Niall McGinn has completed his move to Korean outfit Gwangju FC.

The Northern Ireland international had interest from clubs in England, but has decided on a new challenge in the Far East.

And the ex-Pittodrie attacker has taken to social media to express his delight at his switch and to thank the Dons for all their support.

He said: “I am absolutely delighted to have signed for Gwangju FC.“Since I met the club president a few weeks ago in Belfast I have been researching Asian football and Korean football in particular.

“I have been very impressed with what I have discovered.“This is new, exciting challenge for me one that is very different to anything I have experienced in my career to date.

“When I joined Aberdeen in 2012 I had no idea of the great times that lay ahead.“I want to thank Craig Brown, Archie Knox, Derek McInnes and Tony Doherty. I also want to thank all other staff at the club.

“The fans at Aberdeen also deserve immense credit and thanks. They took me to their hearts and I took them to mine.“After five great years I am moving on but I will always remember my Aberdeen days very fondly. Without hesitation I can say that I will always be an Aberdeen fan.

“I am looking forward to continuing my career at Gwangju FC. I am the first Irish player ever to have signed for a Korean club.“I will give this club the same effort and commitment I have given my other clubs to date and I’m sure I will pick up a few words of Korean along the way.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1233783/aberdeen-niall-mcginn-korea-gwangju-fc/?utm_source=TWITTER&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=SprnklrSUNOrganic&UTMX=Editorial:scotsunsport:FBLink:Statement:Sport