Posted 09/06/07 11:24

EmailPrintSave

Celtic manager Gordon Strachan believes the club need to be playing regularly outside Scottish borders to eliminate sectarianism.

Both Celtic and Rangers have shown a strong interest in joining the English leagues, and Strachan believes it would be a beneficial move on many levels.

The 50-year-old suggests a European league is more likely to materialise, given the vehement objection of Barclays Premiership clubs to the Old Firm being allowed to join their ranks.

But Strachan told The Times: "If we could get into a British league, I don't just think it would help us financially, it would also help this West of Scotland thing we have to live with.

"I often think how exciting it would be to have Manchester United, Arsenal or Chelsea coming to Parkhead.

"Sometimes you hear our people singing the IRA stuff, but I think all that would go if we were in a bigger league.

"It would enlarge the scene, provide more breathing space and people would get on with their lives.

"People from the outside looking in would no longer say to some Old Firm fans, 'Are you guys going to grow up ... are youse all mad?"'

Strachan suggests as many as 50 leading clubs could be involved if the long-mooted European league does become a reality.

He added: "It will happen and the sponsors would flock to it. I really think it's going to happen."

This subject is easy pickings to increase popularity but i hope the ginger smurf gets people to listen to him. Rangers and Celtic are both fighting below their weight. We need to have better opposition coming to Ibrox.