Press Conference Gerrard & Jack | 6 Mar 2020

14 hours ago, Bill said:

I like him too and I'd convinced myself he was the one to bring back success. I've just watched this presser again and it's even more worrying the second time. I think you're right, he IS lost and wherever the answers are going to come from it's probably not Mr Gerrard. All football managers come to these tipping points in their careers, only a very few are able to make the changes needed to turn things around. Sadly, it's beginning to look like we could be heading back to square one and starting again.

The Hearts game showed worrying weaknesses but provoked no changes. The Aberdeen home draw had alarm bells ringing - no changes. The Kilmarnock loss saw the league challenge evaporate - no changes. Scraped past Livi, drew with St Johnstone - no changes. Again beaten at Tynecastle after repeating the same mistakes as the last visit - no changes. Beaten at home by Hamilton and again it looks like it's carry on as normal, nothing to signal the next game will be any different. No sense of resetting morale or drawing a line under the recent past and taking a new path forward. Nothing. We had one of the best strikers in Europe before New Year, who's a shadow of himself now. Our midfield that dominated teams can hardly string two passes together. Our fullbacks used to terrorise teams but can hardly cross a ball now. Our defence - well, nuff said. The manager assures us he's hurting, the players do too but we know they're just going through the obligatory script. Why was Andy Halliday sent to do a post-match interview? Who thought that would be a good idea? 

I felt disappointed but increasingly I now just feel let down.

A terrible line of events and - essentially - non-action. SG has assembled a team full of tacticians and former players ... and yet we continue with Plan A time and again with minimal changes to personnell when the wheels come off.