Link

We have spent over �£10m in transfer fees alone in 2007 - when you take in the signing of Kevin Thomson in January - and there is still more available.

Saw this and initially thought that the truth was coming out about the �£10mil we will spend, i.e inclding Thommo that would be it.

However he goes on to say more is available, yet many fans quote WS as saying we are over budget. Which is it? :confused:

Walter Smith has paid tribute to Rangers chairman Sir David Murray for funding a summer spending spree.

The Rangers boss has bolstered his squad with 10 new players and is still hoping for more recruits before the transfer window closes at the end of the month.

Former Lens striker Daniel Cousin is the latest signing, bringing Smith's summer spending to more than �£8million.

Murray recently promised up to �£10million could be released in a bid to mount a serious challenge for Celtic's SPL crown.

"I'm grateful for the club's efforts where money is concerned," said Smith.

Spending

"I started out with what I thought was a decent budget and I'm delighted to have received further backing.

"You never know if the spending is over or not and it could be that some players may go from the club as well."

Cousin - who completed a �£1million move from Lens on Thursday - faces strong competition from Kris Boyd, Jean-Claude Darcheville, Nacho Novo and Filip Sebo.

Explaining the need for another striker, Smith said: "It's asking a lot of any front player to last a whole season.

"We were a bit light there, numerically rather than physically, last season and that's why new signings were necessary in that department.

"Darcheville isn't at full fitness due to an Achilles injury but he wants to continue playing and help us make our push in the championship.

"That's good to see in one sense because last season there was no challenge for places and the one thing any manager wants to see is healthy competition within the squad."