The SPL - Failing 'Football for All'

Calling Full-Time on Sectarianism, December 2006

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2006/12/11144623/0

The 'Sectarianism in Football Working Group' Provide a strategy and action points for tackling sectarinism (sic) in football.

ACTION 5:

To introduce a new disciplinary offence of unacceptable conduct in football grounds in Scotland which will carry potential sanctions against clubs, officials, players or spectators engaging in sectarian behaviour.

Hot air or meaningful, objective action on solving one part of Scotland's so-called secret shame?

Fast forward just over one year >>>

Another away match - another game where Celtic fans flout regulations their supporters helped set up and enforce.

At Ibrox Stadium, Celtic Park, Tynecastle Park, Dens Park, Caledonian Stadium, Rugby Park and Love Street, they have sung chants about 'huns' (as well as songs in support of the IRA). We all note the perceived religious affiliation of the recipients of these 'hun' chants.

In Inverness and in Edinburgh, police action (including arrests) was taken against the perpetrators and the matter reported to the football authorities - including the SPL. Incredibly SPL action appears non-existent given the repeated breaches of their 'Unacceptable Conduct' rules - even more so when once considers another club has been warned for only one breach despite the same SPL observer (Alan Dick) being present in two of these games involving the two different clubs.

Furthermore, another SPL Observer (Andy Ritchie - former Celtic player) has been present at least 2 of these Celtic games also. Indeed, he was bizarrely quoted in a newspaper that these songs were accepted because they celebrated Celtic's Irish background. Is he a member of the Celtic Trust one wonders?

I've also read concerned fans who contact Iain Blair about the inconsistencies above say he dismisses their complaints because the SPL are unable to provide a list of terms/songs in relation to the 'Unacceptable Conduct' rules. The SPL also suggest club punishment is unsuitable because the clubs involved are being seen to discharge their duties to avoid such behaviour. I think that's true for one club whose fans have acted to remove any contentious terms. I'm not so sure for another club whose fans ignore any criticism of their behaviour and continue to revel in such unacceptable behaviour.

As such, taking all the above information into account, I think the SPL need to answer the following key questions:

1. Would they agree with several Scottish police forces that the term 'hun' is used by Celtic supporters in a sectarian context?

By refusing to act they are suggesting it's suitable. That is causing further confusion and division ââ?¬â?? not removing it.

2. Given the continual police action on this issue and the constant repugnant behaviour of the Celtic support (home and away) in singing these songs, do the SPL consider Celtic FC are doing enough to ensure the removal of terms such as 'hun', 'DOB' and songs in support of the IRA from their fans?

It's obvious they are not so the SPL's continued prevarication regarding 'discharge of duties' is no longer acceptable. Why will this club not publicly condemn chants about ââ?¬Ë?hunsââ?¬â?¢ and/or the IRA?

3. What will it take from the SPL to remove these terms/songs from their supporters as current official 'action' is inconsistent and is clearly not working?

Having proven non-neutral and incompetent observers will not facilitate consistency in the reporting of rule breaches.

4. If a proscribed list of unacceptable terms/songs has not been created, how can one club be warned and others ignored? Surely individual terms/songs must have played a part in Dick's report? Ergo, why was he negligent in his duties when it involved Celtic? Perhaps such confusion explains why Mr Ritchie is confused about the origins and/or suitability of offensive Celtic songs?

Compiling a list isn't easy but not doing so leaves loopholes and doesn't promote equality and parity. 'Football for All' is failing and without genuine action the whole issue is a charade costing the tax-payer hundreds of thousands of pounds (if not more).

5. The SPL and the authorities in general need to involve more fans in order to really find workable solutions to remove the kind of offensive singing we hear on a regular basis in Scotland. As we see above, there are many more questions than answers in this debate.

The authorities are not answering these valid questions so need help from those directly affected by the legislation - not pen-pushers who sit in leather chairs while fans pay top dollar.

To conclude, I think it's important to make clear that this issue is not about some sort of petty one-upmanship to find fault with one club or set of fans but is a serious debate to discuss how such obvious deficiencies and inconsistencies in the way the authorities are addressing the issue are quite simply not working.

By all means have rules and legislation. But by not applying these rules fairly, objectively and accurately these rules only serve to create more problems.

Certainly when (or if) the working group outlined at the start of this article meet again full-time won't be called on sectarianism - just on the incompetency of the bodies involved in the charade at personal cost to every one of us.

We knew parity and equality was never the agenda for the anti-sectarianism drive. Excellent article and hopefully some in the media may pick up the baton. :fish:

Interestingly when picking up a weekend paper at work (I know, I know, but we get them all in my bar) I noted McNee of all people getting stuck into Celtic fans about their offensive behaviour. :eek:

Aye, I believe he referred to their song about us being 'animals'...

Yet he continually ignores songs about huns. Bizarre but any bad press is to be welcome I suppose.

It's a start, even if it the full parity we are looking for has not been achieved. Just suprised he mentioned anything at all as he's entrenched himself so firmly in the pro Celtic camp.

Guest TheWorthyEd

The bottom line is Frankie, no Police force in Scotland, or Nil By Mouth, Sense Over Sectarianism or whatever freeloading publicly-funded group they set up next will tackle Cynical FC head on until our own club's Custodian grows a set of balls and goes on the offensive in public.

Not one word of condemnation have I heard from Murray - and so, the groups (and Plod) mentioned above will do the square root of zip, nada, hee-haw......nothing.

They don't need to as they perceive Murray's silence as a green light to persecute us and ignore the Clatty's.

I think the upcoming Old Firm games will be a watershed in this issue. Perhaps not the first game but considering there will be (at least) 3 games within around 6 weeks which will most likely decide the destination of the title, I feel fan behaviour will be high on the agenda given the high stakes involved.

Fortunately for us, we have a head start in showing that we can remove contentious stuff from our support. Celtic don't and it's now evident they can't or won't do this.

Meanwhile, the authorities (including the SPL, Strathclyde Police, the Executive and ACPOS) continue to fudge the issue before our very eyes. This charade has no answer and it's going to be shown as much very soon.