Final Week Of The Season Rants

The Prophet Of Doom?

The question on all our lips this week and that dominates all ââ?¬Ë?Rangers mindedââ?¬â?¢ conversations is ââ?¬Ë?is the season that promised so much going to deliver so littleââ?¬â?¢? As we approach the final hurdle, it would appear that we are about to fall flat on our faces. There is no denying that our extended run in UEFA cup has had implications on our domestic form and results. Whilst being more than welcome, is it fair to say that the UEFA Cup excursions have had lasting implications on our bid to regain the SPL title? Is it arguable that without the games in the UEFA cup that we would have sauntered to the SPL title? I donââ?¬â?¢t think it is ââ?¬â?? our recent run of results, and most worryingly, performances show a team that has run out of steam ââ?¬â?? however, there was evidence a few months back that all was not running smoothly. The dip in form in the last few months was (rightly or wrongly) argued away by the fact that, at that time, we were still getting the desired results.

Recently, the results have dried up and 2 victories in the last 11 games tells its own story ââ?¬â?? hardly the form desired when you are chasing a historic quadruple. Now we are in a situation that unless we win tonightââ?¬â?¢s game 7-0, the destiny of the league title is out of our own hands. Celtc winning at Tannidice is not a foregone conclusion, us winning at Love Street and Pittodrie is no formality either. It is frustrating that for the vast majority of the season, the destiny of the SPL title was in our hands, it was ours to grasp ââ?¬â?? now itââ?¬â?¢ll take results going our way to ensure that Celtic donââ?¬â?¢t win 3-in-a-row for the first time since Jock Stein was the manager.

So how do we find ourselves in this predicament? Well, the players and management must take responsibility. For to long now, we have only had a ââ?¬Ë?plan Aââ?¬â?¢ ââ?¬â?? basically, go 1-0 up and defend for our lives. It worked for a while, but we have started to lose silly goals that have lost us valuable points. We donââ?¬â?¢t appear to have a plan B to turn to when we require a winning goal. Maybe this is exasperated since we donââ?¬â?¢t have a player in our squad that can single-handedly change the course of a game, or create / score a winning goal on a regular basis. Some of the close season signings who promised so much have failed to live up to expectations and we are short in so many positions.

As we enter the last throws of the season, we can only cling to the hope that fate will intervene and that we will come out of this as SPL Champions. We can cling to the memories of Helicopter Sunday knowing that as someone once said ââ?¬Ë?football is a funny old gameââ?¬â?¢ and that it isnââ?¬â?¢t over until itââ?¬â?¢s over. However, I canââ?¬â?¢t be the only one wondering just what might have been if we were able to keep our heads and won the games we had in hand. If we had, we would be sitting pretty. I just hope we that we arenââ?¬â?¢t all ââ?¬Ë?kicking ourselvesââ?¬â?¢ on Thursday evening reflecting on missed opportunities and reflecting back to stupid results that mat have cost us our SPL title.

Manchester

As I said last week, everyone will have their own unique story to tell about their trip to Manchester (but that�s for another day / time). It is a crying shame that the day was spoiled by a minority who have let themselves and the club down. I hope the club find those responsible and deal with them in the correct manner and I hope those involved are ashamed of themselves.

The game itself wasnââ?¬â?¢t the greatest, but we held our own in the first half and actually dominated for the opening spells of the 2nd half. We had a few half chances to score and believe that if we had gotten the opening goal, we would have gone on and won the game. As it went against us, the game was effectively killed off there and then ââ?¬â?? we didnââ?¬â?¢t look capable of creating / scoring against an impressive Zenit side. I think we all realise that the better side won on the night and congratulations to DAââ?¬â?¢s Zenit side ââ?¬â?? they deserved their victory.

Final Countdown

Squeaky bum time has come and gone, we are now entering ââ?¬Ë?gut wrenchingââ?¬â?¢ time. I for one will be hiding under the sofa on Thursday (canââ?¬â?¢t get time off to go to the game ââ?¬â?? grrrr) awaiting the scores / results to filter through from Tannidice and Pittodrie. There is little we can do apart from ââ?¬Ë?believeââ?¬â?¢ and get as many prayers into whatever God you chose to believe in (if you chose to believe that is). I just hope Big Marv can spare has a couple of minutes and put in some prayers for us (it worked last time). Knowing Big Marv, heââ?¬â?¢ll do all he can to ensure that lady luck / fate shines on the people. Other than that, itââ?¬â?¢s strap yourselves in and get ready for the scariest rollercoaster ride youââ?¬â?¢ve ever been on.

After the outcome of the SPL has been decided, weââ?¬â?¢ll barely have time to draw breath before heading to Hampden to play QotS in the ââ?¬Ë?show-pieceââ?¬â?¢ Scottish Cup Final. There is always something special about the Scottish Cup Final and it is a fitting way to being the curtain down on the season. This will be our first appearance in the Scottish Cup final since we defeated Dundee 1-0 after securing the title against Dunfermline. If you can remember, that game was something of an anti-climax as I think the players, and us the fans were physically and mentally drained after the exertions of winning the league. I canââ?¬â?¢t be the only one whoââ?¬â?¢ll not be disappointed if this seasons mirrors that one!!!!

Cammy F :rfc: