By David Melvin

MAN of the match Pedro Mendes enjoyed an Ibrox debut that lived up to his expectations as he helped his new side to a 2-0 win over Hearts.

The Portuguese midfielder's impressive first performance at the heart of the Gers' midfield was recognised by fans in the stadium who chose him as their pick of the bunch from a successful afternoon.

A fine array of skills and an eye for a pass were evident in everything the 29-year-old did on his first appearance in a Rangers shirt.

And he admits that his first Ibrox experience lived up to his pre match expectations.

He said: "It was a game where everything went well and the support from the fans was fantastic.

"It's nice to be picked as man of the match but I am just pleased with the performance and of course with the win.

"It was a fantastic atmosphere, but I was expecting that as everyone I have spoken with has said 'Pedro, you will love Ibrox' and they were right."

Mendes suffered some cramp towards the end of the match after a whirlwind move ended with him in the starting line up a little over 24 hours after his arrival at Murray Park on Friday.

The former Portsmouth man admitted it was a tiring few days, but he's looking forward to a bright future in the Scottish game and ahead to next weekend's meeting with Aberdeen.

He added: "It's always good to start with a win, but I'm a little tired now. Everything went so quickly, I only arrived in Glasgow yesterday and it was a busy day with the medical and signing.

"I only managed a little bit of jogging yesterday and then the game today, but everything went well so I'm happy with that.

"I was tired towards the end of the game. I hadn't slept much since hearing about the move but now hopefully with the training my fitness will go up again.

"I was pleased with the game, it was an open match and Hearts played well - they have some good footballers.

"So it was an open game and that wasn't too much of a surprise to me so I'm looking forward to the next match."