By Andrew Dickson

PEDROS MENDES is desperate to get three points against Celtic on Sunday - so that he can crack open his growing champagne collection.

The Portuguese midfielder was given the man-of-the-match award after Saturday's 1-1 draw with Aberdeen at Pittodrie and won a bottle of bubbly as a result.

It was his second accolade in a week following the prize he received in his first game for the club after joining from Portsmouth, the 2-0 win over Hearts at Ibrox on August 16.

Now he's hoping he can toast a first Old Firm success with a glass or two in the aftermath of this weekend's opening derby of the season.

Mendes: "People always tell you about games against Celtic but I think you probably need to play in one to really live it.

"They are special fixtures for the supporters and I really hope I get the chance to take part and that my team-mates and I do as well as possible.

"I have enjoyed my time in Scotland so far and everything is going well, both on and off the pitch.

"The lads in the squad have been fantastic and my family are here so I am happy with life as I'm playing well too.

"Now I'm looking for three points against Celtic. If we get them, I'll definitely be opening the champagne I've won. That's a promise."

Mendes has played a big part in revitalising a Rangers side which initially struggled to get going when the campaign began.

Indeed, his form has led to him being recalled to the Portugal squad more than five and a half years after he won his last cap.

Having helped Gers turn in more refined performances over the last couple of weeks, the 29-year-old is out to keep the improvements going at Parkhead.

Mendes added: "We were disappointed only to take one point from the Aberdeen game but we are confident of building on the good things we did there.

"It is up to us to improve and try to play as well as we did in spells for longer periods of the game.

"We will work hard this week and make sure we are ready for Celtic. I can only speak about how we've done since I joined Rangers but I think we have done well.

"Based on the last couple of performances, I think the team is improving and we just need to keep looking to do that."