by Thomas Jordan

RANGERS Spanish hitkid Aaron has told Walter Smith he's ready to stake his claim for a first team place.

And the teenage midfielder admits he can't wait to run out and play in front of 50,000 fans at Ibrox after warming the bench in recent weeks.

He said: "It will be an unforgettable moment when I finally run on to the pitch at Ibrox in front of the club's great supporters. I have seen the team win at home and the atmosphere is incredible. I am really looking forward to it.

"It is a dream of mine to play in the first-team at Rangers and even although I am only 19 it would be a fantastic opportunity.

advertisement

"Hopefully this will come along soon but it is up to the manager of course.

"When I first arrived at the club I needed to get a couple of weeks' training and a bit of time to settle into my new surroundings.

"I am now ready to play whenever the manager needs me."

While Smith will have plenty of options as he prepares to face St Mirren on Sunday, he heads to Love Street in the knowledge his side face a difficult match.

He added: "Gus MacPherson has organised his teams in such a way that they're never easy to beat.

"In fact, they've always proved themselves to be awkward opponents."

Meanwhile, Smith has admitted the rest of his team may have to fit into Kris Boyd's style of play for the maverick striker to be a first pick.

The Ibrox manager left the striker out of his starting line-up at the weekend for the 3-0 win over Hibs, but he is expected to return to the team on Sunday.

He said: "Kris has probably played around 75 per cent of the games since I came back here.

"The fact the ones he missed were the bigger matches can be a criticism of us as well, but Kris has played long enough for us to know what his assets are.

"I'd hope the team would get more comfortable playing him in a lot of these games and we can handle all the other aspects you need to win a match."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2455457.0.0.php