By Lindsay Herron

SANDY JARDINE has called on the Rangers players to follow the example of Kirk Broadfoot as the Light Blues look to consolidate their SPL pole position at Love Street on Sunday.

Kirk BroadfootJardine, voted Rangers' best right back, says Broadfoot deserves enormous credit for the way he has applied himself after his move from St Mirren last year.

Rangers legend Jardine said: "I think Kirk has done really well. His best position is probably centre half but because of various injuries and other things like the Alan Hutton transfer, he has moved to right back.

"I think he has grown as a player. If you look at the difference in him in the space of a year it is quite considerable. He has applied himself really well and he deserves all the credit for the simple reason that no-one works harder.

"If some other players with so-called better ability worked as hard as Kirk Broadfoot they would be far better for it."

Broadfoot is ostensibly a defender but he set up both goals for Kenny Miller at Easter Road on Sunday and, of course, scored on his Scotland debut in Iceland last month.

Broadfoot is a certainty to be picked by George Burley when he names his squad for the World Cup qualifier with Norway today.Sandy Jardine

And Jardine feels the Ayrshireman is not appreciated as much as he should be.

He added: "Outwith the Rangers support Kirk doesn't get the credit he is due.

"Of course there was that comment - limited ability - but that was completely wrong. He does not have limited ability. He is a really good defender.

"He is also a very adaptable player because he can play right across the back four.

"When he made his Scotland debut it was one of the best Scotland debuts I have seen - and not just because he scored a great goal.

"His performance on the night made him one of our best players.

Kirk Broadfoot"He deserves huge credit for the way he has gone about his job, considering that his best position is centre half."

Broadfoot has admitted it would be another massive high for him if he could play for Scotland at Hampden on October 11 when the Norwegians come to town.

He said: "First and foremost I hope to make the squad for the Norway game and if I can be involved in the game I will be delighted.

"There are a lot of experienced players that George Burley might go with. Graham Alexander is there, for example, so it's up to the manager.

"Guys like him have been over the course before so he might choose to go down that route.

"But if he does pick me to play at Hampden in front of the home crowd it will be something special.

"To make my debut in Iceland and score there was a fantastic feeling but to play in front of the home fans would be brilliant."