Terracing??? yes or no??

Guest ricky

I would love to see a limited reintroduction of safe terracing.Loved the Jungle for big games (obviously) but also loved going to your place and standing in the West Enclosure.Tannadice and that steep bank of terracing was great as was Swinecastle.Anyone else hanker after the "old days"

About 15 or 16 years ago my next door neighbor gave me a Celtic ticket for an Old Firm game at Parkhead. I was only 18/19 & he was 40 odds married with kids, but my dad had told him that I couldn't get a ticket & he ended up having a spare because his own son couldn't make it. Anyway, my experience was strange all in all & went something along the lines of walking into a warzone/rubble type area known as barrafields where 4+ year old kids thought that throwing bricks around was OK. It was very strange, but then I wasn't brought up in a slum. When I got inside (in plain clothes of course), it turned out that I was in the Jungle. Well, I can tell you that it didn't feel good at all. Despite the obvious fact that I was standing amongst the dhim support & people that I really didn't like, the terracing made it even worse. The crowd swelling, swaying & general disorder of terracing made for what seemed to me to be a pretty 'on-the-edge', dangerous experience. It felt like if I lost my footing I'd be trampled by loads of drunken or elated Celtic fans, which of course would've been a bad thing for me. The crowd were swelling back & forth so much that I honestly could never condone returning to terraces in football grounds in general because I think it would just be a disaster waiting to happen. You only have to look to the countries who still have terracing in their top club stadiums to see what goes on these days. Barriers & fencing between sections of fans can't stop likely candidates from throwing abuse across the divide or more importantly causing violence by throwing objects at the opposition. Video footage & history clearly demonstrates that crowd surges caused by these out-brakes of violence and animosity between opposing support can be absolutely deadly & result in not only casualties, but deaths. Deaths at a football match are unacceptable to me, so no I'm definitely not interested in returning to terraced stadiums or even stadiums with sections of terracing. Don't get me wrong, the seated arrangement doesn't please me much either, since you need to stand to actually see the match & that feels awkwardly dangerous as well, but it's certainly the better option.

Can i ask you though? If that had've been in the enclosure you might have not been as on edge as you would've been in with your own fans.

I see your point totally, but i wonder if the same experience took place for you in Ibrox you might have joined in?

Hi John,

I think if it was on terracing at Ibrox it would've definitely been a more pleasant experience to say the least, but I do honestly think that I'd still have felt an element of unease & even danger with the swelling backwards & forwards of the crowd. That said, I was only young then, so maybe these days I wouldn't feel the same. I'd have to visit a terraced stadium with similar support to ours to tell though..

Mark