Terracing??? yes or no??

Guest ricky

I would love to see a limited reintroduction of safe terracing.Loved the Jungle for big games (obviously) but also loved going to your place and standing in the West Enclosure.Tannadice and that steep bank of terracing was great as was Swinecastle.Anyone else hanker after the "old days"

Won't happen due to safety issues. Seats apart from sitting on also act as a safety barrier. It is also easier to pick out trouble makers in an all seater stadium.

I don't ever see the clock being turned back.

you can trace the demise of the game in general as far as the average fan is concerned. The life and atmosphere has been sucked from stands by the PC brigade who have ravaged the game from every twist and turn.

It all started with all seater stadiums and the threat of being turfed out If you "stood up". Now every chant is being scrutinised in case someone somewhere in the world is offended.

Next to be banned will be "who ate all the pies" in case you insult some fat bitch who just happened to be watching the footie as she was struggling to fit into her size 16 dress. (dont be suprised if this happens!)

I used to go to the games to be part of the crowd for ninety minutes, standing with my mates after a few pints and enjoying the crack and banter from both sets of fans, whoever the opposition may be. Jumping around like a maddie with a total bunch of strangers, united as one when your team scores, constantly angling for a view of the pitch when some fucker bigger than you stands in front of you. Just being part of the crowd and playing your part.

Now i am no more than a seat number who in my best interests should sit on my arse and keep my mouth shut for the duration of the game.

Its not only about the football on the pitch, Its about the people in the stands too. We are what made the game great. Something that has been sadly overlooked in recent years.

PC BRIGADE 1 FOOTBALL FANS 0

It's a no brainer in my book. It's an obvious yes.

I was brought up watching Rangers games in the east enclosure(as i'm sure lots of fans were) and the memories of the goal celebrations in there will never leave me.

One of the best was McCoist scoring v Aberdeen in the pissing rain and he ran over there, done a few robotic steps(20 years BEFORE Peter Crouch's pathetic version)and kissed his boot after slotting home a 20 yard volley past Leighton.

The crowd just surged forward, and the poor folk at the front(usually wee kiddies) always got crushed.(thinking back i honestly don't know how there weren't more injuries than there was each home game).

But, i wouldn't swap the Ibrox we've got the now for the Ibrox we had then. Yes it's a half corporate kind of stadium with all it's restaurants and boxes, but the other half gives total comfort to watch our beloved team.

Obviously the atmosphere was a lot better in the old terracing because of the swaying, closeness of fans, but things have changed since then that probably wouldn't bring back the old days.

For example, the amount of drunks i saw swigging out of beer cans in the late 70s and early 80s was scary. And the "sectarion" element made it a more vicious and louder and more volatile crowd.

Now we live in PC city where you can't shout "bugger" or you'll be lifted(or so it seems). So to go to the expense of bringing back the terracing i'm just not sure it would bring back what the people are hoping for.

For a start, can you imagine what people will be like getting their feet trodden on and people next to you sneezing in the back of your head, after having had your own seat where you can fidget around all you want for 90 minutes?

Then the minute theres any hint of crowd disturbance we will get all the old arguments springing back up about how unsafe the terracing is and the potential for another Hillsborough or Heysel disasters.

Don't get me wrong, i'd love the chance to try it again, but i just couldn't see many people bar a few die hards in it because of the closeness and invasion of privacy that goes on thats so important to todays politically correct individual.

It's a good potential for debate, and as i say i'd love the chance to see it work out. But i think football arenas have moved on from those cramped days in Scotland, even if it's been succesful in Germany, i still think Scottish fans are not controlled enough to make this work again.

Some really great points there JB, although Im sure most would like the terracing you make some good points to as we maybe shouldn't. Do most not stand anyway regardless of the seating?

the general hussle and bussle of the terraces created the energy in the crowd. Getting your toes stood on, badgering for a good spot to see the pitch etc was just part and parcel of going to the game.

Scottish football would benefit greatly if they brought back the terraces. I reckon more people would come back to the game if they brough them back.

As for the saftey aspect of it all. The technoledgy in the turnstiles these days would insure that the terraces would never be overcrowded.

I had a relative up from reading and he took his young sons to see morton and all the kids talked about was "going to a real football stadium!" They were elated at the fact that they had stood on proper football terraces and didnt have to sit on a seat!

There is enough space at Ibrox to accommodate everyone whether they want to sit or stand.

Id love to see the terraces back, but i doubt ot will ever happen.

the general hussle and bussle of the terraces created the energy in the crowd. Getting your toes stood on, badgering for a good spot to see the pitch etc was just part and parcel of going to the game.

Scottish football would benefit greatly if they brought back the terraces. I reckon more people would come back to the game if they brough them back.

As for the saftey aspect of it all. The technoledgy in the turnstiles these days would insure that the terraces would never be overcrowded.

I had a relative up from reading and he took his young sons to see morton and all the kids talked about was "going to a real football stadium!" They were elated at the fact that they had stood on proper football terraces and didnt have to sit on a seat!

There is enough space at Ibrox to accommodate everyone whether they want to sit or stand.

Id love to see the terraces back, but i doubt ot will ever happen.

Do Dortmund and Schalke not have small areas set aside for standing that are used inly in domestic football???

Don't Rangers fans have a long "tradition" of sitting??? Rangers fans have mostly had seats for about 27 years.

Must admit that when I was young I was proud of that as it made our stadium seem the best in the UK.

Where's your sense of tradition??? ;)

For standing, I think we need designated areas where he have "hybrid" seating/standing. IE all it needs is some 1m barriers/hand rails in front of where you sit. So you can sit before the game and then stand safely during the game, where the railing stops you falling forward - and crushing is no more likely than sitting.

You still take up the same seat with your ticket but have a personal space to stand - so no jossling/stepping on toes etc.

I can't see any safety arguments against this idea.