by Lindsay Herron

REVOLTUTION is a word often attached to the name of Graeme Souness when reference is made to his impact at Rangers.

His arrival in 1986 as player-manager not only awoke a sleeping giant but changed the face of football in this country.

However, his friendship with David Murray led to even greater things for Rangers.

Souness made some superb acquisitions as manager, luring Terry Butcher, Chris Woods, Graham Roberts, Ray Wilkins, Gary Stevens, Trevor Steven and, of course, Mo Johnston to Ibrox.

Sir David MurrayHowever, as Sir David prepares to celebrate 20 years at Rangers this weekend, Souness remains convinced that the best "signing" he ever made was David Murray.

In 1988, the 36-year-old highly successful businessman was rebuffed in his attempts to purchase first love Ayr United and it was Souness who planted the seeds about taking over Rangers.

He recalled: "I actually met him at a basketball match as he was running a team at that time. We became friends and we remain good friends.

"A chance remark from David led me to taking a stake in Rangers when he eventually took control of the club.

"He casually mentioned that if the club was ever likely to be put on the market then he wanted to be kept informed.

"I continued to discuss the topic with him. I wanted to plant the idea in his head that he was the right man to take over.

"He was first and foremost a businessman and he realised there was enormous potential in Rangers.

"I did warn him that if he became totally involved then it would take over his life. He didn't believe me at the time but if you ask him now I think he will agree that I was right.

"The world of football is totally different from any other industry. When you immerse yourself in it, everything else takes second place - including your family.

"We didn't have to change much when he came in because there was nothing to change. We were very successful.

"We were the dominant force in the British transfer market at that time. We were spending big money and we had half of the English squad in our team at that timeGraeme Souness.

"You just couldn't do that now because Rangers just don't have the budget any more.

"The game has changed dramatically since I was at Rangers. All the money is down in England now and it is quite astronomical."

Despite the awful disability of losing both legs in car accident at the age of 24, Murray's energy and determination was boundless and that was not lost on Souness.

He said: "It's very impressive considering he lost his legs at a young age and what he has achieved in life.

"He has never felt sorry for himself. He is very much up and at 'em and seems to thrive on that. He is a very special human being."

Controversy or drama was never far away when Souness was in charge at Ibrox. Despite his fantastic success as boss - delivering three titles and the League Cup four times - he felt he was becoming a marked man.

The thought of moving away had entered his head and when Liverpool came calling in the spring of 1991, he felt he had to take it.

Having been phenomenally successful, captaining the side to European Cup glory and regular championship glory Souness agreed to go back.

MThe day Souness left Rangersurray knew it was the wrong move and told his good friend as such. Souness, though, could not be dissuaded and with the title race in Scotland going down to the wire he left for Merseyside.

Souness said: "I remember we went for dinner to our favourite Italian restaurant and David said nothing about Liverpool. However, he is a perceptive man and after dinner he drove me to my apartment.

"He told me 'You're going to Liverpool, aren't you?' And that was when I told him. We sat on a wall outside my home and we talked for half an hour as he tried to persuade me to stay.

"However, I was determined that I would go. He told me I was making the biggest mistake of my life but I still went. I later realised he was right. I should never have left Rangers."

Not for the first time, David Murray was spot on with his assertion.