By Andrew Dickson

BARRY FERGUSON couldn't care less if it was Celtic or Berwick he was facing for the League Cup on Sunday as long as he helps Rangers win it.

The Ibrox captain is currently preparing for a first Old Firm final in six years ahead of the Light Blues' meeting with their Parkhead opponents this weekend.

It's a match supporters are looking forward to immensely and while Ferguson's no different in that respect, he has played down the importance of who Gers' opponents are.

He doesn't mean to be disrespectful when he says that - he simply feels that coming home with the silverware is more significant than who stands in his way of the trophy.

Ferguson said: "People often ask me how good it would feel to lift another cup and the answer is that nothing ever changes.

"The hunger to win is always there and whenever you get your hands on silverware again, it feels every bit as special as the first time you did it.

"Once your desire to keep doing that goes, there is no point in playing football any more and you might as well give up.

"To lift a trophy as captain of Rangers is a huge thing for me and it's special to all of my family and friends too. It means so much to us all.

"It doesn't matter who it is against. People also question me about whether finals against Celtic are better to be part of than matches against other teams.

"It really doesn't make a difference to me. We could be playing Berwick Rangers or whoever else this weekend and it would be just as big a game.

"To win the trophy is the biggest thing and we must make sure we're the ones standing there with it once the final whistle goes."

Ferguson has an outstanding record in domestic cup finals with Rangers and has won each one of the nine he has played in.

Included in that run are three victories against Celtic and the Light Blues have won their last four Old Firm finals in a sequence stretching back almost 20 years.

nIt goes without saying Ferguson is determined to make it five in a row at Hampden four days from now - but he knows what has happened in the past counts for nothing.

He added: "We've got a good recent record in cup finals against Celtic and we're very proud of it but it goes out the window ahead of this game.

"It's all behind us now and I'm not the type to look back at things. I tend to look forward instead and we need to consider how we go about winning this game.

"We've still got a relatively new team and for a lot of the boys, this will be their first final with Rangers.

"We know the match will difficult. It will take a lot of hard graft but hopefully we can come out on top."

Edited by Super_Ally
Ian being a lazy bollocks