Greegs Wants More Glory

by David Melvin

ALLAN McGREGOR has been involved in many Rangers successes in recent years but last year's Co-op Cup triumph was essentially his first success.

The keeper had been on the bench in cup finals and league triumphs, but he played a massive role in the defeat of Dundee United in 08 not least with two saves in the penalty shoot-out.

Now he craves more success when Rangers defend the trophy against Celtic on Sunday.

Allan McGregorHe told Rangers World:"The way it was won last season means it will always be a bit special.

"We had had a hard game on the Thursday in Europe and to come back from that to play 120 minutes and then face penalties it was an amazing achievement.

"Going a goal down in the first half wasn't too good and as we got nearer to the end I thought it wasn't going to happen for us but then Boydy popped up with a goal.

"In extra time it was the same again when we fell behind and he did it again for us so it was a real experience.

"Then I managed to save a couple of their penalties to help the boys and it was a good occasion for us.

"It was the first trophy the club had won in a while so it was a special one for us and of course being part of the team and not just the squad means it will always be a memory for me.

"Some people might look down on the competition these days but there is silverware at stake and you want to win it.

"Especially with it being Celtic we face in the final this time. It is a bit special and I'm really looking forward to it as are all the rest of the boys.

"I was on the bench for the League Cup final in '03 and we managed to win it - one of many that year - so I'd love to have a repeat of that this time."