By Andrew Dickson

PEDRO MENDES has revealed memories of missing out on silverware will be the catalyst in his bid for victory against Celtic in tomorrow's League Cup final.

The Rangers midfielder has a Champions League winners' medal in his possession after he helped Porto beat Monaco in the 2004 final.

Free Kilmarnock tickets!He also lifted last season's FA Cup when he was in the Portsmouth team that beat Cardiff City 1-0 at Wembley.

But Mendes has experienced disappointment too at a tournament's climax and lost out with Porto in extra-time against Benfica in the Taca de Portugal five years ago.

While the successes he has had stand out, it's a rare moment of failure that makes him so determined to add further triumphs to his list.

Mendes said: "I won the equivalent trophy to the League Cup back home with Porto but lost out on the Portuguese Cup to Benfica.

"It is always hard to take a defeat but especially in a final. At that stage, the only good outcome can be a win because of what's at stake.

"If you win, everything is fantastic but if you lose you just go to the dressing room and get into the coach moaning about everything.

"You don't want it to be like that and the fans don't want to be going home moaning at everyone either.

Pedro Mendes battles with David Rowson"We want to enjoy ourselves and have a happy ending. Hopefully we will be able to provide one this weekend and we desperately want to win.

"If we were to do that, it would be our first achievement since I joined the club and that makes this a massive game for me."

Mendes, who is fit after a recent thigh strain, is just as keen to come out on top for the sake of ensuring he reflects on his time at Ibrox as positively as possible in the future.

He added: "When you look back at the clubs you've played with, you want to be able to think of lots of trophy wins you enjoyed.

"I don't know when it will be but whenever my Rangers career is over, I want to be able to say I won cups and titles.

"When you go to a big club, you want to achieve things with your team and create lots of good memories."