Walter, what's up ? Tell Gordy and the boys.

The difference between Barca and Rangers though is that although both try to stifle the other team Barca do it high up the pitch and as soon as they get the ball they look to move forward at pace to hurt the opposition.

Rangers do it on the 18 yd line and when they get the ball they dont move it with any pace at all, almost sighing with relief that the opposition didnt score.

What I will say though is that we, the fans, played into the media's hands over the "negativity" debate last year. This could be controversial but I, for one, would have liked to have seen us KEEP the 4-5-1 formation. What we needed were a couple of true wide players in the midfield and a proper attacker who could play the lone role (and I think Lafferty, if given the chance, can play that role effectively). Funnily enough we also already have the wide players (on the left) to assist there (Aaron, Fleck (even though not his true position), Beasley (if he could ever find form) and on the other side we have the converted Novo.

What WS should have done pre-season (and hindsight is 20/20) is said "right, I like this 4-5-1 formation so I am going to get the players who will enhance it" and went out and got a true right mid and a striker to also play the role. He didn't do that though.

And before I hear all the "but 4-5-1 in the SPL isnt necessary because we could be steam-rolling teams" it is painfully obvious to me that if you have the proper personnel then a 4-5-1 quickly becomes a 4-3-3 which is even more adventurous than the 4-4-2 that most crave. You also have 5 in the midfield to prevent the opposition from getting past you, you shouldnt be overcome by their midfield when you have 5 in it and then once you have the ball you break at speed.

Our problem is that we havent really had the personnel to properly play that system (aside, it would seem, from when we were playing Naismith and Burke in those wide positions).

I wouldnt mind seeing the 4-5-1 if we had a striker who couple play the lone role up front - we have the midfielders for it (a midfield 5 of Fleck/Aaron, Ferguson/Thomson, Mendes, Davis, Novo) seems like a very decent midfield for me and you also have all of them playing their preferred position.

Sorry for the rant.

Anyway, due to WS,s seemingly irrational decisions recently, does anyone think there is something going on with him that we are unaware of.......seriously ?

I always think when there are situations which defy logic and common sense there are usually unknown factors involved.

I don't believe he is suffering from any of the ailments you mention. I do think he is a tactically inept manager (as was Eck at times) who had great players to overcome that in his first spell. But what's become clear this season is the fire's gone out in Smith. Remember the 3-1 Erik Bo Andersen OF game, facing the supporters pumping his fists? Now it's "we're a bit disappointed" and various other bland statements. I'm not saying he's any less of a Rangers man, but he looks like someone who should be retired. I expect he may have been had it not been for Dave's SOS call.

As for Barry, I've no doubt he wants to be the player he once was, but I don't think it's a case of just needing to watch a few old videos. He's evidently just past it, and at the relatively young age of 30 to be struggling in the SPL like he has this season, I think a lot of that has to go down to his injuries. There were a lot of rumours flying about a year ago about how much longer Barry could keep on playing, and he does now appear to be in decline. In truth, he hasn't recovered from breaking his kneecap playing for Blackburn in 2004. Which is a real pity, as we only saw the real Barry Ferguson for five years, from 1998 to 2003. One of the best players I've seen wear the jersey during that time.

Barry deserves the criticism over his performances, as they're just patently not been good enough for the captain of Rangers. But it irks me a bit when you hear people slating him as a man, as if they still can't get over the fact he went to Blackburn. Any man who accepts the fact he's going to have arthritis relatively young as a consequence of playing through the pain for Rangers, is committed to the club in my book.