JOHN FLECK took the next step in his blossoming career on Saturday when he made his Scotland under-21 debut in Elbasani's Ruzhdi Bizhutu Stadium and he hopes to get another run-out for Billy Stark's team tonight at the Falkirk Stadium.

John FleckThe 17-year-old came off the bench in the 80th minute as the young Scots ran out 1-0 winners in the first of two European Championship 2011 group qualifiers against Albania.

It was the perfect start for the country's talented kids and they will be looking for a similar result tonight in their second Group 10 fixture.

Facing the Albanians was have been a massive boost to Fleck who burst in to Walter Smith's first-team plans earlier this year before taking a slight dip in form which happens to most young stars.

After scoring his first senior goal against Dundee United on January 31 John was being tipped for global stardom by sections of the media but the player himself has kept his feet firmly on the ground and realises his first goal is to become an established first-team star at Rangers.

He said: "In the past couple of years there has been a lot written and said about me and there is even more now that I have moved in to the first-team.

"It is great that people are interested but I let a lot of it go over my head.

"I think the most important thing when you are my age is to keep your head down and just focus on trying to play football.

"There can be a lot of things happen around you but I just want to do my best at Rangers and keep improving."

Despite only making eleven appearances for the Gers' top team to date rumours started back in February that Fleck could be in line for a shock call-up to George Burley's full international squad with the coach admitting he was monitoring his progress.

John, however, was delighted to be selected for the country's under-21s and insists this has been the best step for his career.

He said: "At times I think people do expect a lot from me but that is something you have to get used to when you are at a club like Rangers.

"I have loved the experience of playing in the first-team recently but there was a couple of games where I didn't play as well as I want to.

"That has been frustrating but I am still learning and I am sure the consistency will come with the more experience I get."

John has not featured in the top team since March 4 against Inverness Caley Thistle but he is fully aware that patience is an important ingredient for any young player at a major club.

He said: "The past few months have seen me take a few big steps in that I have played in some big games with Rangers and scored my first goal for the first-team.

"I have also been picked for the under-21s and made my debut so I am delighted with the way things are going.

"At the same time I know that all the hard work starts here and although I have played against the likes of AC Milan, Celtic, Aberdeen and Dundee United I need to be more consistent.

"When you are young your form can go

Edited by Super_Ally
Picture captions