CHIEF EXECUTIVE Martin Bain has said that tonight's punishment of wayward stars Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor should act as a warning for others.

Ferguson and McGregoMartin Bainr have both been fined two weeks' wages and banned for the same period for the behaviour while on international duty this week.

Speaking exclusively to Rangers World, the Rangers chief executive said: "I don't think anyone has won out of the last week. However, we now look forward and must ensure that we maintain standards.

"I think it is a signal to anybody else that these actions that the club has taken shows that the actions that the players have taken will not be tolerated

"This football club expects standard, the Rangers supporters expect standards and the behaviour of these two players was unacceptable.

"We don't condone the behaviour, especially that of our captain, and we felt this was the best way forward.

"Both players have been willing to accept that their actions are not befitting Rangers Football Club and they have offered their profuse apologies.

"They are very important players in the squad but this football club is bigger than anyone and I think that we owe it to our supporters to maintain standards at the football club.

"There is no doubt about that these players will be missed in the run-in to the Championship but the decisions has been taken and I believe it is the right one."

What they did was wrong but it is galling to think that the press played a huge part in their downfall. It would be interesting to know exactly why they did what they did at Hampden and who was it aimed at. I bet it was aimed at the press for the exposure of the drinking incident naming only Ferguson and McGregor.

In other words it was a right stitch up job. This truth will emerge soon enough.

What they did was wrong but it is galling to think that the press played a huge part in their downfall. It would be interesting to know exactly why they did what they did at Hampden and who was it aimed at. I bet it was aimed at the press for the exposure of the drinking incident naming only Ferguson and McGregor.

In other words it was a right stitch up job. This truth will emerge soon enough.

Were you listening to the Real radio football phone in?