A.Z.Alkmaar's title hopes dashed.

I've taken quite an interest in A.Z Alkmaars amazing Dutch league exploits this season as they have romped to victory.

However, after an amazing unbeaten run stretching around 25 matches, they crashed to defeat at HOME to Vitesse Arnhem 2-1.

They only needed really a draw since their goal difference is quite favourable.

However, after going ahead in the first half, they let it slip later on in the smae half, only to lose another in the second in front of a stunned home crowd.

Aparty atmosphere turned into disbelief as they now have to play Ajax in Amsterdam next week, followed by Twente Enschede away and Herenveen at home.

The lead could go down to 8 points on Sunday now meaning that Steve McLarens Twente could clinch it on the last day if results go for him.

Alkmaar have three tough fixtures to three teams who have all played well this season in the Eredivisie, and the dream of Louis Van Gaal could crumble in 3 weeks time.

AZ will win the title they have three games to do it.

Scheringa and his bank have been shown up as the rats that they are on Dutch television this week. As i said in another post he has the bank that lends to the people who are in debt. He offers a far better interest rate than anyone else. Once you have signed that form he can charge you what he wants as no other bank will grant you the limit of credit he does. One family had a mortgage of 180.000 euro's by the RBS. They went for the cheap Sheringa loan and now have a mortgage of 300.000 while the house is only worth 205.000. I am happy that a lesser team win the league but that gentleman Scheringa is a barsteward.

I'm not up on the politics of Holland Pete. Scheringa must be the Alkmaar chairman i take it?

What i like about this Alkmaar side is the fact they hardly have any names that anyone outside the Netharlands would know.

They have the mix of Dutch and South American players that works for a change and the spine of Dutch players being capped for their country is great to watch.

I agree though, i think they just bottled it tonight, i don't think that'll happen again. They will all go home and reflect on what they did and come back and thrash someone for the 2 points they really need.

Edited by John Barr

I can't believe Ajax have fallen so much. Same goes for PSV and Feyenoord I suppose.

My thoughts too mate.

Getting the Eredivise games on Setyants gives me a better picture of what the standard is like in the Netherlands and i have to say the teams like F.C.Twente, A.Z.Alkmaar and Heerenveen have caught up enormously on the big three there.

It makes for a very exciting league with no simple predicted games. But the fall that P.S.V and Ajax in particular have taken is almighty.

Feyenoord have had the arse fall out there world for about 5 years now, and have now shown small signs of improving. The signing of that new manager from Utrecht? is a good one for tham, but they have such a long way to go. It's unbeleivable to think they beat uis on the way to a Uefa cup success only 8 years ago!!!