By Andrew Dickson

DAVID WEIR insists he'll put talk of extending his stay at Rangers to one side to focus on tomorrow's derby with Celtic.

The veteran defender - signed initially as a stop-gap in January 2007 - should make his 120th appearance for the club in this weekend's derby.

David WeirFormer Light Blues skipper Richard Gough has urged Weir to stay with Gers for as long as he can because he'll miss playing when he eventually gives up.

But while the former Everton stopper is flattered by such comments, he's adamant he'll only look to the future in the summer and the title race is his sole concern just now.

Weir, who will turn 39 on Sunday, said: "It was nice of Richard to say those things but I've got to be asked to stay here first.

"I'll keep playing as long as I can, there's no doubt about that. I think I'm sensible enough to realise that.

"But the priority for me just now is to try to get to the end of the season and to try to be successful. That's the most important thing.

"Of course, I'd think about staying at Rangers if I was asked but I don't want to spend any time doing that just now.

"We've got more than enough on our plate at the moment and there are more important issues than that to consider. The league deserves all of our attentions."

David Weir, RangersWeir maintains tomorrow's game is not a title decider, despite others claiming a win for either side could end the championship as a contest.

After this weekend, Rangers still have to play Hibs, Aberdeen and Dundee United while Celtic face the Arabs, Hibees and Hearts.

As both clubs prepare for difficult finishing schedules, Weir knows the other teams in the top half of the SPL will be keen to play a part in where the title ends up.

He added: "I think both teams would say they've got three tough games after this one and this season there have been points dropped by each side.

"I'm sure Celtic would agree that regardless of whether it's them or us that wins this weekend, there's nothing guaranteed after that."