Walter's post match challenge to the players:

Keep It Up

By Andrew Dickson

WALTER SMITH saw Rangers go top of the league with a 1-0 win over Celtic - then challenged them to stay there and become SPL champions.

The Light Blues edged the Old Firm derby at rain-soaked Ibrox after Steven Davis scored shortly before half-time from close range.

It was nervy stuff at times as Celtic came back after the break and had chances to level but couldn't take them and the hosts went on to get their seventh success in a row.

The biggest thing for Gers was hanging on to win and now they find themselves two points clear of their biggest rivals with three games left to play.

But Smith knows the advantage his men have now will be worthless if they can't get enough points from fixtures against Hibernian, Aberdeen and Dundee United.

He said: "We're obviously delighted to get the result. If you want to win a league championship, you need to win games such as this one.

"We were in a position where we had to win or we were dependent on other teams helping us in our quest.

"Now we're only dependent on what we do ourselves. That's what we wanted and it's up to us to make it count.

"We've got a good situation now and hopefully we can take advantage of it. We were in a good position last year but the fixture pile-up didn't help us.

"We don't have that to contend with this year so we'll have to show we have the ability to go on and take the championship.

"We're on a good run of form just now and I've been really pleased with the way some of the boys have been playing. Hopefully we can continue that."

Smith praised a number of individuals, including American midfielder and derby debutant Maurice Edu.

The 23-year-old had an excellent game in midfield and despite taking a first-half knocked, he recovered well to make a significant contribution.

It was a similar story with matchwinner Davis, whose endless energy won him the man of the match award.

Smith added: "Steven played very well and he maybe typifies our team in a lot of ways. He works extremely hard.

"It's significant that his contribution at both ends of the pitch today was good and I felt that overall, we did well.

"Celtic are a good set-piece team but we handled that well and hit the post ourselves in the first half through Steven Whittaker, who had a couple of good chances.

"Maurice did well too. I'm sure he'll remember his Old Firm debut because he got clubbed a couple of times. That will no doubt be a nice memory for him.

"He's still got a bit to learn. He has been thrown in at the end of a season that I thought he'd play a bit-part in and has done really well.

"Mo has been asked to play regularly in the last half-dozen games or so and he has fitted into the team."

Underselling Edu's recent contribution?

Obviously wanna keep the boys feet on the ground but at the same time I think you need to praise players when it's deserved.