champions league & europa league prize money 2009/10

When you actually consider how certain clubs are actively seeking to get players off their books then loans and or bosmans are actually a very good source of players ,you read about more and more long term loans especially across europe , however for this to work you really need good contacts

You also need to be able to pay high salaries if you want to attract the best loan and bosman players because the best ones on offer are coming from the cream of the clubs in Europe. Ok, so there might be exceptions to that, but my point is that our club have been trying to reduce the wage bill, so we won't be able to attract any players that are looking for salaries over �£20k until our financial situation is better. Obviously with loan deals whereby we're only paying 50% of a player's salary it's different.

QUOTE=Zappa;193793].

You also need to be able to pay high salaries if you want to attract the best loan and bosman players because the best ones on offer are coming from the cream of the clubs in Europe. Ok, so there might be exceptions to that, but my point is that our club have been trying to reduce the wage bill, so we won't be able to attract any players that are looking for salaries over �£20k until our financial situation is better. Obviously with loan deals whereby we're only paying 50% of a player's salary it's different.

That is very true but with UEFA's plan for club debt/participation due to come into force in a couple of years players will need to be moved on , the last figures from UEFA showed that over 65% of clubs across europe were operating way above what they could reasonably afford , that's why they are implementing a club licensing policy re- debt to turn over , Chelsea are one club that have aleady started taking action to transfer their debt

Here's an article I did on CL earnings:

http://home.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=122%3Arangers-champions-league-earnings-200910&catid=41%3Afinances&Itemid=1

Rangers� Champions League Earnings 2009/10

Thursday, 21 January 2010 12:46 Boss

You know me, I like numbers. So I was intrigued to read an article topping the prestigious Newsnow rankings which claimed that Rangers had ââ?¬Å?received more than ââ??¬30 million from participation in this season's Champions Leagueââ?¬Â.

ââ?¬Å?Oh really?ââ?¬Â I thought, ââ?¬Å?Perhaps Iââ?¬â?¢m going slightly mad. Surely the real number is little more than half that?ââ?¬Â

I dusted own my abacus, lubricated its beads, looked out my blue plastic spade (I use it to build snowcastles), and started digging.

UEFA donââ?¬â?¢t make it particularly easy to work out the exact numbers. The last download on UEFAââ?¬â?¢s website, detailing all the teams in the CL and their share of the various pots of money, seems to be for 2004/05. But if you dig deep enough, the information is available for 2007/08 ââ?¬â?? but itââ?¬â?¢s hidden away on page 53 of an obscure document.

Also of assistance was a UEFA article published earlier this month giving some details of their ââ?¬Ë?revenue distribution systemââ?¬â?¢ for 2009/10.

1. Every team in the CL receives a ââ??¬3.8m ââ?¬Ë?participation bonusââ?¬â?¢.

2. Every team in the CL receives a ââ??¬3.3m ââ?¬Ë?match bonusââ?¬â?¢ being ââ??¬550,000 for each of six matches played. (Iââ?¬â?¢ve no idea why this isnââ?¬â?¢t just lumped into the ââ?¬Ë?participation bonusââ?¬â?¢.)

3. Winning a match in the CL gains ââ??¬800,000 ââ?¬Ë?performance bonusââ?¬â?¢, and a draw gains ââ??¬400,000. Depressingly we only earned ââ??¬800,000 from this pot for our two draws.

4. The ââ?¬Ë?market poolââ?¬â?¢ is where things start getting interesting. UEFA has confirmed this pot to be worth an estimated ââ??¬337.8m. This is distributed according to the proportional value of each countryââ?¬â?¢s TV market, and split (be reference to domestic league positions) between the participating clubs from that country. The total pot for 2007/08 was ââ??¬277m, of which the ââ?¬Ë?Scotlandââ?¬â?¢ pot was ââ??¬6.453m, or 2.33%. The respective numbers for 2004/05 were: ââ??¬208m, ââ??¬6.308m, 3.03%. So between 2004/05 and 2007/08 although the pot size increased significantly, the ââ?¬Ë?Scotlandââ?¬â?¢ element only increased marginally. It is therefore prudent to assume, in the absence of any published figures, that the ââ?¬Ë?Scotlandââ?¬â?¢ pot wonââ?¬â?¢t have benefitted much from the further ââ??¬61m pot increase for 2009/10. Letââ?¬â?¢s say the ââ?¬Ë?Scotlandââ?¬â?¢ pot was ââ??¬7m (plus or minus ââ??¬0.5m) ââ?¬â?? the good news is that we donââ?¬â?¢t have to share that pot with them!

5. There are further pots of money available for each round thereafter; sadly that�s not something that concerns us this year.

The total amount we will receive from UEFA will therefore be approximately ââ??¬14.9m, which translates to Ã?£13.4m.

We also get to keep our own gate receipts, including hospitality. With three home matches attracting an average attendance of just under 40,000, this will have generated not much more than �£4m. We will of course have the matchday expenses to deduct from this. We also have the playersâ�� bonuses to pay; given the performances I hope that amounts to no more than loose change! (I understand that the ridiculous bonus system of 2007/08 has been revised.)

So to sum up, Rangers will have earned perhaps Ã?£15m-Ã?£16m net from the CL this year, which is little more than half the ââ?¬Å?more than ââ??¬30mââ?¬Â stated in the erroneous article. So Iââ?¬â?¢m not going slightly mad after all.

Numbers are such fun, aren�t they?

boss next time you want the C/L money , just go to Bert kassies site around the end of July and someone will have posted the figures for the following season's competition , that's where I got the figures from the 1st post on this thread