PEDRO MENDES rejected a return to the Premier League in the last transfer window to focus on winning a title medal with Rangers.

Now the dream of ending a five-year wait to return to the Champions League will keep the Portuguese playmaker at Ibrox.

Mendes is getting a reminder of life in England's top-flight as Rangers take on Arsenal,

Manchester City and former club Portsmouth in glamour pre-season games.

But it's the chance to get back among Europe's elite which is driving the midfield star this summer.

Mendes sparkled at The Emirates Cup in London at the weekend, but he insists he's in no rush for a permanent return south.

He said: "The transfer window is still open, but I'm really pleased to be here at Rangers.

"I'm happy with the way I have been treated by the club and really happy to still be here.

"Yes, we have to get through August until the deadline is over and, in that time, anything can happen.

"People can come in, people can move out - but these are decisions for the chairman and the manager to make.

"I remember in January there was a lot of speculation because of the financial situation at the club.

"People said we would have to lose players - but I said then I wanted to stay.

"That was because I believed that I could be a champion with Rangers and that is what happened.

"Now we have a big season ahead of us. We have a title to defend and we have the Champions League to look forward to.

"I don't think my attitude has changed too much since January. It also helps when the fans are on your side.

"It's always good as a player when you feel the fans are behind you. It reflects the effort you put into the team for them.

"When things are going well it's great but, when things go wrong, there is another side to it and you need to be prepared for that.

"The most important thing for me is I feel good at the club and my family is settled in Glasgow."

Mendes has yet to play a European match for Gers after arriving in the aftermath of last season's disaster against FBK Kaunas.

Advertisement

His last experience of Euro action was winning the 2004 Champions League with Porto.

He got a reminder of that contest when he faced a Paris St Germain side including Jerome Rothen and Ludovic Giuly - who were in the Monaco side which lost to Jose Mourinho's aces.

But Gers were given a stark warning about the scale of the task they face in this season's Champions League when they were hammered 3-0 by classy Arsenal on Sunday.

Mendes knows it will be tough and isn't expecting to repeat the heroics of Porto.

But he remains eager to test himself against the best - and sample his first-ever Euro night at Ibrox. He added: "When I joined it was just after the team had lost in the Champions League qualifiers, so I have not had the chance to play in Europe with Rangers yet.

''It's something I'm looking forward to. In fact, the last time I played in Europe was in the Champions League Final for Porto against Monaco in 2004.

"They had Rothen and Giuly as well as Dado Prso and Fernando Morientes. But we managed to win.

"It's been a long time to wait for me personally and I'm looking forward to experiencing it again.

"People keep telling me how special the atmosphere is at Ibrox on a big European night and I want to taste it for myself. The Champions League is something a little bit special for the fans and the players.

"It's a break from the pressure of the SPL and it will be good for everyone at Ibrox."

Rangers manager Walter Smith has made several changes since the last Champions League group campaign two seasons ago.

He has added the likes of Madjid Bougherra, Steve Davis, Kyle Lafferty and Mendes to the squad.

And the Portuguese cap believes the return to fitness of midfield sidekick Kevin Thomson will be like a new signing.

Mendes added: "When Thommo got injured last season he was having his best spell. He was playing some terrific stuff at that time.

"Hopefully his confidence will now come back. It can take some time to build that up again after such a long time out.

"It will be great for Rangers to get him back as the player he was before the injury, or maybe even better."

Smith pitched Mendes, Thomson and Davis into a new-look three-man midfield for part of The Emirates Cup.

And Mendes reckons it was a worthwhile experiment as the SPL champions plot the title defence and prepare for a tilt at Europe.

He said: "The 4-3-3 system gives us a little more space to play and it's great for me and Davo to have a more defensive midfield player behind us.

"That gives us more freedom to get forward."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2569471/I-cherish-those-big-nights-in-Europe.html