UEFA overturns Eduardo Diving Ban

See what happens when you stand up to the bheasts and their agendas?

GIRUY :giruy:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uefa has overturned its decision to ban Arsenal striker Eduardo for two Champions League games for diving.

The Croatian was suspended after being found guilty of diving to win a penalty in the Champions League qualifier against Celtic on 26 August.

But on Monday, Uefa accepted Arsenal's appeal and he will now be eligible to play in their opening two Group H ties.

A Gunners statement read: "We are grateful the right decision has been reached in this case."

It continued: "We were able to show there was contact between the keeper and Eduardo and that the decision should be annulled.

"We fully support the drive for fair play in football and believe it is important that Uefa provides clear and comprehensive standards that will be consistently enforced going forward.

"We are glad to put this incident behind us and concentrate on the games ahead."

Arsenal had called the initial decision by Uefa "deeply flawed".

A Uefa statement on Monday said: "Following examination of all the evidence, notably the declarations of both the referee and the referees' assessor, as well as the various video footage, it was not established to our satisfaction that the referee had been deceived in taking his decision on the penalty."

Arsenal begin their Champions League group stage campaign with a trip to the Maurice Dufrasne Stadium to face Standard on Wednesday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8236689.stm

I wrote this for RM after the game in London, but I don't think they used it. They don't love me anymore!! Anyway, it seems apt.

As Scotsmen, we are in the lucky position of receinving both the National (read English) newspapers, with their comprehensive coverage of the Premiership, and our very own wee Scottish papers, with their comprehensive coverage of the Old Firm, Rangers and Celtic.

While the English papers, no doubt, have secret agenda, the sheer number of teams supported and staff employed mean that a wider range of petty jealousies and childish vendettas are on offer to the discerning reader; here in the damp north, there's only one rivalry that matters.

And this rather boring state of affairs has had a direct impact on Arsenal this week, an attack they probably weren't expecting as they prepared for the trip to Old Trafford to face Manchester United.

In Scotland, when I were a lad, the Rangers received the favourable coverage; in recent years (say about the last decade) it's been Celtic. And while it would be easy to dismiss my grievances at this as the moaning of a Rangers man, it's nevertheless true that years of pliant, backscratching, fawning media coverage has created a spoilt monster, which lives in Glasgow's East End.

Hence Eduardo's vilification this week. There are a few compelling reasons why, distasteful though it was, Eduardo's best punishment should be in the court of public contempt. Firstly, every team does it, Rangers most certainly included. If there's a side out there who can prove me wrong I'll be delighted, but the TV coverage in recent years has shown professionals of every team and ability, quite willing to hit the deck with aplomb. Secondly, the offended club in this instance is something of a standing joke in Scotland for fielding players with weak ankles, prone to collapse beneath them for no apparent reason. Thirdly, the comprehensive thrashing handed out by an Arsenal team that rarely got out of second gear makes it faintly ridiculous and smacks of sour grapes.

But here's the thing. Celtic, and their fans, and their fans in the media, are convinced they are the moral standard bearers for a new generation of football, and must never be crossed. A haggis eating Obi Wan Kenobi, they exist on the dull, arid fringes of British football, stalked by Sandmen in blue shirts but always there at the vital moment to ride to the rescue. They genuinely believe in Obi's dictum: if you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine! And why shouldn't they? They've been led to believe it, after all, by many people who should have known better.

That club was joined this week by Michel Platini and the SFA boss, Gordon Smith. Platini, never slow to score a point against a high profile club, the Bob Crow of UEFA. Smith's own motives are likely to be as much personal as moral: he spends much time in the corridors of UEFA complaining about this issue, with one eye to the future as a UEFA executive. His own ambitions are his business and I'm not criticising; but imagine the surprise of Arsene Wenger when what is, after all, a weekly occurence becomes something of a galaxy-wide witch-hunt, and he finds himself cast as Darth Vader.

Arsene should rest easy. Although Eduardo may be slapped on the wrist, an appeal ought to remedy that, since neither UEFA, FIFA, the FA or Sky/ITV/BBC will countenance having the stars out suspended - won't somebody think of the viewing figures??? - and the furore will die down. He, and Arsenal, should reserve their sympathy for those of us who have to live with this stuff on a weekly basis.

I thank you!